starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low iron levels and starting strength?

Default Low iron levels and starting strength?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello

How does low iron levels affect strength gains for starting strength? I have a genetic disorder and due to that my iron levels are just barely at minimum (and sometimes below minimum) if I eat what I normally eat without working out.

I am 6'1" and 140 lb and quite thin in terms of muscle mass (think skin and bones) and thin boned. Should I take a iron pills? I used to do that but I don't anymore since I don't like to stick to a schedule with pills. (they also turn my stool black, not sure if that is healthy for the long term). I also have a cast iron pan that I can use, but I don't typically use it because the non-stick pan is much more convenient.

I plan to eat chicken+ rice+ kidney beans + onions daily to try and get my weight up. (I can't do GOMAD since I can only drink 1 cup of milk a day before I get gas).

Is this a good plan to help get my iron levels up? Do I need to get my iron levels up? I am not sure if I should ask a doctor all of this, but it seems this is the best place to ask about starting strength.

You seem to have several problems.

Quote Originally Posted by shoq View Post
    Hello

How does low iron levels affect strength gains for starting strength? I have a genetic disorder and due to that my iron levels are just barely at minimum (and sometimes below minimum) if I eat what I normally eat without working out.
    This is a problem for your doctor to help you get sorted.

I am 6'1" and 140 lb and quite thin in terms of muscle mass (think skin and bones) and thin boned.
    THIS is a problem for you to solve with food and lifting iron.

Should I take a iron pills? I used to do that but I don't anymore since I don't like to stick to a schedule with pills. (they also turn my stool black, not sure if that is healthy for the long term). I also have a cast iron pan that I can use, but I don't typically use it because the non-stick pan is much more convenient.

I plan to eat chicken+ rice+ kidney beans + onions daily to try and get my weight up. (I can't do GOMAD since I can only drink 1 cup of milk a day before I get gas).

Is this a good plan to help get my iron levels up? Do I need to get my iron levels up? I am not sure if I should ask a doctor all of this, but it seems this is the best place to ask
    about starting strength.
    Iron pills do that; it's perfectly normal. Whether you should be taking them is (you guessed it!) a matter for your doctor to answer.

As far as cast iron pans, I've found using bacon fat work very well with them, and will add more calories as well, something you need to get your weight up.

I also have a cast iron pan that I can use, but I don't typically use it because the non-stick pan is much more convenient.
    It would appear you don't know how to properly use a cast iron pan, if this is your reasoning for not using it. My cast iron cookware drastically outperforms any non-stick cookware I have. It takes very little effort to maintain your cast iron cookware, other than making sure to keep it coated in cooking oil after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    As far as cast iron pans, I've found using bacon fat work very well with them, and will add more calories as well, something you need to get your weight up.
    Not to mention, reverse searing your burgers or steaks in a cast iron pan coated in bacon grease makes them taste delicious.

Should I take a iron pills? I used to do that but I don't anymore since I don't like to stick to a schedule with pills. (they also turn my stool black, not sure if that is healthy for the long term).
    That is a perfectly normal and expected side effect of taking iron pills.

Is this a good plan to help get my iron levels up?
    No.

Do I need to get my iron levels up?
    Yes, you do.

I am not sure if I should ask a doctor all of this.
    Yes, you should.

Lodge has a whole line of pre-seasoned cast iron pans, skillets, and pots. Learn how to use them to cook yourself MORE FOOD THAN YOU'RE EATING NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lodge has a whole line of pre-seasoned cast iron pans, skillets, and pots. Learn how to use them to cook yourself MORE FOOD THAN YOU'RE EATING NOW.
    If your cookware is cast iron, but it isn't Lodge, it probably isn't worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    It would appear you don't know how to properly use a cast iron pan, if this is your reasoning for not using it. My cast iron cookware drastically outperforms any non-stick cookware I have. It takes very little effort to maintain your cast iron cookware, other than making sure to keep it coated in cooking oil after every use.

I have 4 cast iron frying pans, (3 of them old ass griswalds) and a cast iron dutch oven. Love them all but no cast iron will ever outperform Teflon, in not sticking. Teflon is so non-stick that they (Dupont) had to come up with special processes to bond it.

starting strength coach development program
    The problem with Teflon is that 1.) the put it on cheap shitty skillets and 2.) it is destroyed after about 6 months of normal use by even a careful cook. But for the OP, it would last for decades.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast