starting strength gym

Thread: If i cant do PC's so what should i do?

Default If i cant do PC's so what should i do?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    HI, i cant learn the power clean by my self, and no body can teach me.
    so usually people change the power clean to chin-ups\bend over rows.
    I want to develop as much strength and mass in my upper back, so what exercise should i choose?
    and about assistance exercises, i want to i want to add curls for the biceps, so how can i know if it will only slow me down or improve me?

and here's a video of me doing squats (92.5kg if it matters), so can you tell me please if i'm over extending my back (my 4th and 5th reps i was less tight because i started laughing because of something, so don't mind it)?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKh73...layer_embedded

Why can't you learn power cleans by yourself? Do you have the book? the progression in there is pretty doable.

You should do chins anyway.

Other than that you probably shouldn't be doing any assistance exercises yet. Have you READ the book ? Particularly the programming chapter ?

Your squats look basically ok. Can't see much of what you back is doing from this angle since the plate is blocking it.

- You're shooting your knees forward at the bottom when you bounce. Get the knees forward to where they're going to be in the early part of the movement and then keep them there.
    - Go a little deeper.

Don't worry about your upper back. Just do the program. By the time you get to a 3 or 3.5 plate DL your upper back will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Why can't you learn power cleans by yourself? Do you have the book? the progression in there is pretty doable.

You should do chins anyway.

Other than that you probably shouldn't be doing any assistance exercises yet. Have you READ the book ? Particularly the programming chapter ?

Your squats look basically ok. Can't see much of what you back is doing from this angle since the plate is blocking it.

- You're shooting your knees forward at the bottom when you bounce. Get the knees forward to where they're going to be in the early part of the movement and then keep them there.
    - Go a little deeper.

Don't worry about your upper back. Just do the program. By the time you get to a 3 or 3.5 plate DL your upper back will be fine.
    ok thanks, and why deeper? i'm not going below parallel? and yes i have the book and i did read it.
    and about the PC i down want to learn it because it will take too much time too.
    oh and about shooting me knees forward, you think it effects my bounce?
    and after the squat i'm feeling a little uncomfortable in my lower back, i doesn't hurt or anything and i'm not feeling it after the workout or a day after, just after the squat.
    its like a feeling that a heavy weight was on your back, and its only after the squat... i wanna know if its ok.
    and thanks for your post.

Hi there, I have a motor coordination disorder and learned to clean just from the book. Putting in the time is worth it. It's more important to work on your form than to agonise over adding in biceps curls. Power cleans give you explosive power, which is extremely cool and sexy. (I assume you want to impress the opposite sex, right?)

I would also tell you the same. I learned how to PC by myself. It is really easy to learn it from the book.

Or if you are a visual learner, get the DVD! (I have it and it it awesome!)

Also I agree with mariawolters. The PC is sexy as fuck!
    Last edited by xupc; 07-29-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xupc View Post
    I would also tell you the same. I learned how to PC by myself. It is really easy to learn it from the book.

Or if you are a visual learner, get the DVD! (I have it and it it awesome!)

Also I agree with mariawolters. The PC is sexy as fuck!
    Quote Originally Posted by mariawolters View Post
    Hi there, I have a motor coordination disorder and learned to clean just from the book. Putting in the time is worth it. It's more important to work on your form than to agonise over adding in biceps curls. Power cleans give you explosive power, which is extremely cool and sexy. (I assume you want to impress the opposite sex, right?)
    lol ok ill try to learn it from the book, so what about the feeling in my lower back?

We aren't orthos, so difficult to diagnose ... Make sure your form is good and that the movement comes from the hip. Keep your chest up. Does the pain persist? Or is it normal muscle soreness after a workout?

Quote Originally Posted by mariawolters View Post
    We aren't orthos, so difficult to diagnose ... Make sure your form is good and that the movement comes from the hip. Keep your chest up. Does the pain persist? Or is it normal muscle soreness after a workout?
    nope its doesn't persist and its only after the squat and it goes away after a few minutes and it not even a pain its just an uncomfortable feeling, and when i lay down on a bench after the squat it feels weird in the lower back too...
    it feels like its coming from the bones and not the muscles and again, its not a pain.
    can squat cause problems even if my technique is good?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry to hijack thread but I have a similar question...a few months ago I had a torn supraspinatus tendon and more recently De Quervain's syndrome in my wrist (which I think I developed from DB snatches doing another program). My chiro and physio have acknowledged that my joints are very loosey goosey (my words, not theirs, lol). So this creates fear in me to even try PCs. I don't want to re-create old injuries or make my wrist thing worse. Despite these setbacks would it still be safe to teach myself to PC? I know Rip says that if you sub it out with something else then its not THE program. But I also don't want to hurt myself from the get go....advice?