starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smolov and Smolov Jr. Questions

Default Smolov and Smolov Jr. Questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but I have some questions about Smolov and Smolov Jr.

1) I am doing 5 x 5 right now and I am working with 285# for my squat. Don't know what my 1RM is. Am I ready for Smolov yet? My squat is low because I have not put as much work into it. My dead-lift for example is in the low 400's.

2) What kind of upper-body work can I do while on Smolov? I usually do alot of weighted dips, over-head pressing, pull-ups, and rows.

I also wanted to ask about smolov jr. I wanted to use it with weighted dips at some point. What kind of program can you do for your squat and upper-body pulling while doing smolov Jr. ?

I seem to recall reading about Smolov on a certain Belgian's website. I would check there.

Quote Originally Posted by Forthright View Post
    1) I am doing 5 x 5 right now and I am working with 285# for my squat. Don't know what my 1RM is. Am I ready for Smolov yet? My squat is low because I have not put as much work into it. My dead-lift for example is in the low 400's.
    I would say you're not ready. You should put more work into it though.
    2) What kind of upper-body work can I do while on Smolov? I usually do alot of weighted dips, over-head pressing, pull-ups, and rows.
    I did a cycle of Pavel's PTTP for my bench while on smolov. That was the only upper body work I did. Actually ended up setting a bench PR at the end of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by blandrick View Post
    I seem to recall reading about Smolov on a certain Belgian's website. I would check there.

I have no idea what your talking about.

Even without knowing your height/weight (which would be helpful) there's a good chance that you are not ready for Smolov.

Pretty much every I've spoken to about Smolov agrees that it's a stand alone program. Your squat will excel, but your other lifts will most likely suffer as a result of the squat volume.

Is there a reason you're interested in Smolov/jr over other programs such as the Texas Method, Madcow, or 5/3/1?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    Your squat will excel, but your other lifts will most likely suffer as a result of the squat volume.
    I didn't find that to be the case.

I think it's silly to do smolov with a sub 400 squat. There are easier ways to increase your squat until then.

I have no idea what your talking about.
    Google Smolov.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I didn't find that to be the case.
    That's good then. I have no experience with Smolov, just hearsay. But a lot of it has common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I think it's silly to do smolov with a sub 400 squat. There are easier ways to increase your squat until then.
    Wasn't there some guy on the CrossFit boards trying to do Smolov with a sub 300lbs squat? I think that was brought up here some months ago.

Here's the article that started it all: http://ontariostrongman.ca/resources...squatcycle.htm
    Last edited by Jonathan Vechet; 08-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, the crossfit dude wanted to do that (his max was some 275 or 245) and also train his 5k run or something equally dumb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast