starting strength gym

Thread: Rotating Rep Range

Default Rotating Rep Range

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Which of these would you think is better, or is it purely a matter of experimenting and personal taste? If it matters, I'm 60 yo.

200x5x3
    210x3x3
    220x1x3

205x5x3
    215x3x3
    etc.

or

200x5x3
    205x3x3
    210x1x3

205x5x3
    210x3x3
    etc.

#1 is better.

The increment between rep range should be larger than the progression increment.

Alternating Rung Method - Baker Strength Coaching

Nice article, thanks! I'll have to spend more time with Andy's blog.

I wonder if adding a 6-4-2 mini-cycle when you can't progress on 5-3-1 is better than doing smaller jumps (e.g., 5 and 2.5 instead of 10 and 5 as in my #1 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Which of these would you think is better, or is it purely a matter of experimenting and personal taste? If it matters, I'm 60 yo.
    Probably the first would be better if you're male, regardless of age, but it depends on neuromuscular efficiency. Luckily, you can figure this out for yourself by using RPE to check that the triples are about the same difficulty as the 5s and adjust as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    Probably the first would be better if you're male, regardless of age, but it depends on neuromuscular efficiency. Luckily, you can figure this out for yourself by using RPE to check that the triples are about the same difficulty as the 5s and adjust as you see fit.
    Are you saying compare 200x5 to both 205x3 and 210x3 and pick the triple that's harder but not too much harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Are you saying compare 200x5 to both 205x3 and 210x3 and pick the triple that's harder but not too much harder?
    Difficulty is measured by the RPE system of "how many more reps could I have done." It counts backwards from 10, so RPE 10 = no more reps, RPE 9 = 1 more rep, @8 = 2 more reps, @7 = 3 more reps, @6 = 4 more reps, and anything below @6 is way too light to be productive.

So you would do 200x5 and observe an RPE of maybe @7. So if you really tried, you could have done 200x8@10.

You would then try 210x3, hoping also for an RPE of @7, so if you really tried, you could have done 210x6@10.

If the RPE is too high (@9) or too low (@6) on the triples, you can adjust the weight so that it's in the productive training range for the rep scheme you have chosen.

In this case, is RPE doing more than just providing a way to compare exertion on one day to another?

EDIT: Current thread on RPE in Rip's forum: Is RPE a valuable training tool or a load of shit?
    Last edited by Elephant; 06-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Here's another Andy Baker article on rotating rep ranges: Strategy: Rotating Rep Ranges - Baker Strength Coaching

starting strength coach development program
    I just use this:Rep Max Calculator - All Things Gym

I base the reps on whatever I'm doing for 5s across. Seems to work OK. Missed the singles on DL by 5 lbs, but I think that was mental, more than anything, since I was trying to lift 20 lbs more than I had ever lifted before.