starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should the standard progression be for a SUPER skinny kid?

Question What should the standard progression be for a SUPER skinny kid?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Skinny as in been eating ~1000 cals, one meal a day all his life until he started strength training.
    Now I am bulking, eating about ~1900 calories(eating is hard, ok?) and my squat goes up about 5 lbs every time, deadlift 5 lbs as well, bench 1.25 increments(microplates) and OHP 1.25 as well.

Is this normal for a 5'3" 105 lb manlet?

Should I eat more and increment more?

I just started making progress again after stalling for a bit- had to deload and rest and eat more...

Yeah, you gotta eat more dude. I know it's hard, but lots of things in life are much harder. I'd say over the next 18 months, try for about 80lbs of weight gain. That'll get you to 185. That averages out to about 4 lbs per month, or 1 lb per week - give or take a bit.

I know for mini-males that appetite is an issue, but you need to train yourself to eat more frequently and more per sitting, just like you train with the barbell.

Liquid Calories are key. You can easily make your own shakes that are 1000-1500 calories each or even buy them pre-made. Then benefit of the pre-made shakes is that they are convenient and there is less volume to drink. American Bodybuilding makes an XXL mass gain shake in a fairly small bottle that is 920 calories a pop. They are very smooth, thin, and taste ok. Easier to consume than a big blender full of stuff. Order a big giant shipment of those and drink 1 per day

Buy ABB Performance - Extreme XXL Mass Gainer Supplement Strawberry Banana - 22 oz. at LuckyVitamin.com

You kidding? Eating is hard for us maxi males too lol

My go-to for easy calories is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 400 calories a pop and soooo easy to get down.

I think the other key to to get high-quality ingredient foods and make eating a pleasure.

Man I wish I had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    You kidding? Eating is hard for us maxi males too lol
    Maybe for a few. But almost every big strong lifter I've ever been around loves to eat. Missing meals is not a problem, and portions have to be controlled so they don't over eat at each setting. I took a kid to McDonalds about 2 years ago that wouldn't eat.

He claimed he could "eat a ton". He got through 2 McDoubles and almost had to go throw up trying to finish a 3rd.

I ate 10.

Yeah it seems like there are two kinds of people: those who open a pint of Ben & Jerry's, eat a serving and think "wow, that was so rich and filling, I'm stuffed." And then are the other kind of people who open a pint of Ben & Jerry's, eat 3/4s of it and think "might as well finish this."

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Maybe for a few. But almost every big strong lifter I've ever been around loves to eat. Missing meals is not a problem, and portions have to be controlled so they don't over eat at each setting. I took a kid to McDonalds about 2 years ago that wouldn't eat.

He claimed he could "eat a ton". He got through 2 McDoubles and almost had to go throw up trying to finish a 3rd.

I ate 10.
    This! I can eat 2500 calories in a sitting without blinking an eye. No issues. I struggle with "limiting" my intake. Then again, I also enjoy sex.

I have a theory that the men that don't like to eat also don't like having sex.

That might be a good idea, as what i'm using right now(Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass, Chocolate, 12 Pound: Health & Personal Care) is super thick and makes me want to throw up-thanks for the tip.

Anyway, what should my weight increments be using a diet of ~3500 cals a day?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Yeah it seems like there are two kinds of people: those who open a pint of Ben & Jerry's, eat a serving and think "wow, that was so rich and filling, I'm stuffed." And then are the other kind of people who open a pint of Ben & Jerry's, eat 3/4s of it and think "might as well finish this."
    ... and then say, "That was good! I think I'll have another!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast