starting strength gym

Thread: Coming back from a long layoff and was seeking advice

Default Coming back from a long layoff and was seeking advice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Good morning coach hope all is well I was just seeking some advice today on how to go about getting back into training after an approximately 10 week lay off. So as not to bore you I'll just say life's circumstances got in the way of my progress.
    First allow me to say where I left off with my weights Squat : 345 5*3 , Bench 230 5*3 , Press 165 5*3 , Power Clean 120 3*5 ( 2nd time doing them as part of this program ) and my Deadlift 310 5*1 due to a 20 % reset because of an injury that kept me from DL for two weeks prior to the reset I was at 355 5*1 . You might ask why such a big reset well because at 355 lbs my form was compromised big time and that was just 3 weeks into the program .I have since realized that my starting weights where too high and that I should have started at a more conservative weight with all my lifts . I have reread the programming chapter and specifically the progression section and have seen the error in my ways ( It's easier to not get stuck than it is to get unstuck ) . So I ask of you advice because I feel the lay off time illustrated on page 305 of SSBBT is not applicable to my circumstance . Also the illustrations in PPST 3rd on page 90 , 91 ,and 92 don't seem applicable to my situation where one I started with weights that where to high and secondly the amount of time that has gone bye since my last training session. So if you can be so kind as to point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative ..

Thanks in advance.

A lot of times, I have trainees perform a conservative training max after a lay off and then use a percentage of that number to restart their program. Percentage is usually 75-80% for 5s across.

So....

Day 1 (mon): Squat conservative max single then 3x5x75%, Then Press conservative max single then 3x5x80%

Day 2 (weds): Bench - 1x1, 3x5x80%, Deads 1x1, 5x75%

Day 3: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5 (add weight from Monday)

Day 4 (mon) Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5, Deads 1x5 (add wt from last week)