starting strength gym

Thread: Alternating heavy DLs one week with power cleans the other

Default Alternating heavy DLs one week with power cleans the other

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

Keeping this quick: We got sweet new oly bars and bumper plates at my gym so PCs are fun to do. Also, my deadlift sucks and I'm tired of fighting with it.

I pull on Fridays. How about this:

Week 1: Power Cleans (when fresh, no squats or anything beforehand) 5 x 2 or 5 x 3 on LP, then 2 - 3 sets of 5 DL

Week 2: "Heavy" DL doubles, triples, 5's.

Stats: 51, male, 200lbs. Recently squatted 300 for a triple. Can reliably DL 315 for 5, and always seem to stall out after managing 325 for 5, or 335 for 1, or what have you. Sick of it.

I do the typical 4-day split MT-ThF; Bench/presses on M and Th; squat/pulls on Tue and Friday. I do sled drags or the recently recommended un-powered treadmill sprints on Tuesdays and/or Fridays.

I may be kidding myself, but why not have fun with power cleans and see if the rotating DL rep ranges coax an improvement?

Thanks for looking!

Tom

Won't hurt to try. I'd increase your DL volume a bit on those alternating weeks too. Like one top set of 1-5 reps then 2 x 5 as back off. That might also spur some progress.

Cool. Thanks!

Oh, hey, it occurs to me: is there a recommended percentage for the back-off sets? 90% or so? Seems like I've seen you recommend that somewhere.

Thanks again!

Depends what that 90% estimated is based off of. That 10% recommendation is usually based off of a ~5RM. If you are basing it off of 1-3RMs then it has to be bigger