starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to proceed?

Default How to proceed?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How would one proceed if one reached 140kg for 3x5 advance novice on SS? Microload 1.5kg per session, move to 3x3, continue 3x5 advance novice and do 1on 2 off (as per PP3), move to a top set with 2 back off sets at 90/95% (forum suggestions), do heavy light medium (As per Baker) or switch to TM? Im confused. What is generally recomended?

Paralysis by analysis I know.

If I had to follow my gut I would do Heavy/Light/Medium to milk it even futher with 5lbs jumps 3x5 then switch to 3x3 with a back off set and then to TM. I believe I can hit 180kg for rep on advance novice linear periodiation with a few modifications.
    Last edited by ConstantineP; 10-11-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Without demographic info it's impossible to give solid advice.

See The Real Sticky For Programming - Pastebin.com

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post

Thank you for this.

1) Age / sex?

30 year old.

2) Current Body Weight?

211 to 213 lbs

3) Current programming (what program are you using)

Advance novice SS as written in the book.

4) How long have you been on current programming?

A month.

5) Starting body weight (what was your body weight when you started lifting? Started current program?

211lbs. I am pretty muscular. Did bb (with whatever that entails). Not interested in that now. I want to get stronger.

6) Increment you are using on the lift in question. When did you switch to this increment? Previous Increment?

5lbs on squat.

7) Caloric intake (in calories-ish. The answer "sufficient caloric intake" is totally insufficient).

3200 to 4000 calories a day. Usually around 3200-3400.

8) Amount of rest between sets (work sets).

5 to 8 minutes

9) What weight you started the program at (weight on the bar for the lift in question) and a detailed description of how long, what increments were used, and what kind of breaks / vacations / etc caused a disruption in the programming.

100kg 3x5 SS. Never missed a lift. No disruptions.

10) Other activity that you are engaging in (sports, hobbies, job that causes physical exertion).

Nothing.

What is the relevance of a 140kg/308 lbs squat? Your second post stated that you haven't missed a rep. Just keep going. Add 5 lbs to the bar every session until you can't. Training advancement has nothing to do with weight on the bar, but your ability to recover.

Keep going until you miss reps for 2-3 consecutive workouts. Then reset by 10%, work your way back up to your previous stall point, and then add a 80% light day on Wednesday. Keep going more until you miss reps consecutively again. You can then attempt back-off sets, which appears to be the preferred method these days, or move onto intermediate programming. If you are older and you end up stalling multiple times, it might be prudent just to move to intermediate programming instead of trying to milk any more out of the novice program. This is in PPST.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What is the relevance of a 140kg/308 lbs squat? Your second post stated that you haven't missed a rep. Just keep going. Add 5 lbs to the bar every session until you can't. Training advancement has nothing to do with weight on the bar, but your ability to recover.

Keep going until you miss reps for 2-3 consecutive workouts. Then reset by 10%, work your way back up to your previous stall point, and then add a 80% light day on Wednesday. Keep going more until you miss reps consecutively again. You can then attempt back-off sets, which appears to be the preferred method these days, or move onto intermediate programming. If you are older and you end up stalling multiple times, it might be prudent just to move to intermediate programming instead of trying to milk any more out of the novice program. This is in PPST.
    I allready have a light day on Wednesday.

I want to avoid reaching failure. My sets felt VERY close to RPE 10. I dont like training at RPE 10 for extended periods of time as I know that I will accumulate fatigue and if I dont manage it I may need to take more than a week to recover. I think its time for me to change things a bit mainly to manage fatigue better short/long term. As such I am looking for a way manage fatigue while at the same time linearly increase the weigh on the bar.
    Last edited by ConstantineP; 10-11-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Keep on the LP train. Switching to an intermediate program at this point will slow your progress for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstantineP View Post
    I want to avoid reaching failure. My sets felt VERY close to RPE 10. I dont like training at RPE 10 for extended periods of time as I know that I will accumulate fatigue and if I dont manage it I may need to take more than a week to recover.
    If you are a novice, you probably don't have a very good sense of what RPE 10 actually is.

Texas Method is generally the standard recommendation in these parts.

I seem to be having decent luck with a top set of 3 - 5 reps followed by higher volume back off sets. Really anything that gives you an appropriate blend of volume and intensity to keep progressing is fine and at a certain point picking a routine has more to do with what you like to do and with your training schedule (for example - I had a hard time with Texas Method volume days because they take too damn long, and I like doing two exercises 3 - 4 days a week, from a time management perspective).

Thank you. I had a quick thought and you are right. I will keep pushing the LP 5lbs at a time then. Even if I get 4 more sessions in its +10kg. I think I can do it. Once session at a time I guess.

starting strength coach development program
    I allready have a light day on Wednesday.
    OK, fair enough. Why did you add it?

I want to avoid reaching failure. My sets felt VERY close to RPE 10. I dont like training at RPE 10 for extended periods of time as I know that I will accumulate fatigue and if I dont manage it I may need to take more than a week to recover. I think its time for me to change things a bit mainly to manage fatigue better short/long term. As such I am looking for a way manage fatigue while at the same time linearly increase the weigh on the bar.
    Agreed with manveer. You're a novice; you likely don't know what RPE 10 is. You're north of 300 lbs, every lift is going to feel heavy from now on.

You speak in the future tense. "I will accumulate fatigue." "I may need to take more than a week to recover." Meaning, you haven't actually stated that you're suffering from an inability to recover and manage your fatigue, especially given that you haven't stalled, yet. Have you had any problems with recovery?

We just don't want you to get stuck prematurely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast