starting strength gym

Thread: Warm ups at a meet, weight selection, etc.

Default Warm ups at a meet, weight selection, etc.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Guys,

The Fall Classic this Sunday will be my first meet and I'm looking for recommendations on how to prepare for the lifts while actually at the meet. Should I just go through my usual warm up sets before each lift, or cut down the number to make sure I'm as fresh as possible, or add more to be really warmed up and ready to go?

As to selecting weights, I thought I would open with what I did at my last workout, to ensure I have at least one good lift, and sort of go by feel from there for attempt two, probably 2.5 lbs for the press and 5-10 lbs for squat and deadlift. Assuming attempt two is successful, I'll go a bit outside my comfort zone for attempt three. What do other people use as guidelines for selecting attempt weights?

Lastly, what do you guys do for breakfast and food throughout the day?

Thanks and good luck to everyone completing on Sunday.

-RJP

Default Warm ups at a meet, weight selection, etc.

Warm ups and attempts: The Strength Athlete has a free meet card that helps you plan your warm-ups once you figure out your third attempt. I've used it before, highly recommend.

I like to go ~90% of third attempt as my first, ~95% for second, and then 100% for third. Of course if everything feels way heavy, you can go lighter, and if it's super light, go heavier.

I usually don't have the same food as normal on meet day. With traveling, etc, I don't get the opportunity to cook eggs and sausage. I try to go with carb-heavy stuff, a bagel and cream cheese and an apple for example. During the meet, I bring Gatorade and candy to snack on. Protein powder also. I've brought PB&J but never eaten the sandwiches so I've just stopped.

Warm ups: I would warm up like you usually do. Figure out how much time you need and plan accordingly. Too early and you can get cold again by the time you have to get on the platform. Too late and you shorten the time between your last warmup and first attempt.

Attempts: depends what stage of training you're in, how much experience you have with heavy singles, how you perform under pressure. Don't open too heavy and risk bombing out. Like Allen said, if it's your first meet, open with a weight you can hit for a set of 5.

Food: As normal a breakfast as possible. A little extra because I have trouble eating with meet nerves. During the meet - whey, BCAAs, pop tarts.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...nutrition.html
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ition-day.html

I honestly just eat normal stuff that I know wont cause me any stomach issues. As far as my attempts my first attempt is always something really easy and light to avoid the bomb out and to create a habit of success for the meet. For my other attempts it just depends on how I'm feeling and just what I've been hitting in my sessions.

Have you practiced your pauses for the meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Have you practiced your pauses for the meet?
    Fall Classic has no pauses and no commands.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Fall Classic has no pauses and no commands.
    Right, missed that part. Good luck!!!