starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check / Cry for Help

Default Squat Form Check / Cry for Help

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is a video of my first work set tonight. It's 300x3, a PR.

My second rep might be a little shallow. My knees go too far forward. And I think I'm too vertical.

I'm having a hell of a time correcting these issues. . . . .When I try to get more horizontal, the bar tends to roll up my neck.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is by far my weakest lift.

I had an awful quad cramp or strain in my left leg during my backoff set. It still hurts an hour later. I think I let my knees go forward and strained my left quad. I hope I'll be able to squat again soon.

Today's log entry is here.

The bar may be a bit high on your back from the start, but heck, what do I know. If I tried to squat that weight I would be crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    The bar may be a bit high on your back from the start, but heck, what do I know. If I tried to squat that weight I would be crushed.
    Thanks for the feedback. This is my fault. The angle of the video is not great. The bar is on the top edge of my rear delts. I think I've got it in the right spot. I'll see if I can get a better picture soon. A few months back I had some kind of squat epiphany. I got the bar in this spot and all was clear. I struggled to get it low for a while and then bam, it was locked in. Again, I'll see if I can get a better picture when my leg heals to make sure.

Your stance seems wide and you need more hip drive, in my opinion. Getting the bar in position in relation to the spine of the scapula will help keep it from rolling up your neck. This will also help with a more horizontal back, which will help with hip drive.

Seems like you're too upright at the bottom. It's sucking you hip drive. fixing your eye gaze may help this.

Jonathan Sutton Guest

These are pretty good squats. Rep 2 and 3 look a little high. Knees and bar position on the back look ok. Bringing your stance in closer to shoulder width is my only suggestion - looks like you're lifting in a squat suit, where an upright torso is an advantage. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Sutton View Post
    These are pretty good squats. Rep 2 and 3 look a little high. Knees and bar position on the back look ok. Bringing your stance in closer to shoulder width is my only suggestion - looks like you're lifting in a squat suit, where an upright torso is an advantage. Keep it up!
    Thanks. I'll try narrowing my stance a bit. I guess my toes are almost touching the sides of the rack.

No squat suit here. I'm wearing some shitty "sud sports"? compression shorts under my outer shorts. I just got them in. I bought a long pair to protect my legs during power cleans. I tend to scrape up my thighs a bit. . . . I wouldn't buy this kind of short again. They fit strangely. It might be due to the fact that the rear seam goes up the middle.

I also bought some cheap champions and some under armor shorts. I like the champions the most so far. I didn't want to shell out for the Reeband yet. I'd just like to avoid racking myself during deadlifts. . . .

Can't tell if the bar's in the right spot on your back. Check and fix that and TUBOW, then take a new video.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Can't tell if the bar's in the right spot on your back. Check and fix that and TUBOW, then take a new video.
    I don't have a TUBOW yet, but I did take a few short clips of the bar placement. I strapped the tripod to a hook inside the rack.

The bar feels locked in on top of my rear delts. Here's a video showing three setups. The third is shirtless so you can see a little more clearly where the bar sits, though the lighting here is not great. Don't worry, it's safe for work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I don't have a TUBOW yet, but I did take a few short clips of the bar placement. I strapped the tripod to a hook inside the rack.

The bar feels locked in on top of my rear delts. Here's a video showing three setups. The third is shirtless so you can see a little more clearly where the bar sits, though the lighting here is not great. Don't worry, it's safe for work.

Ha, the shirtless one wasn't necessary. It looks like you've got it in the right place. So now we need to get the knees to the right spot at the right time, and let the rest of the angles sort themselves out. Even imagining a TUBOW may help for now. Or use a foam roller or something else tall enough that can be placed at or just past the end of your toe to get your knees to said "right spot"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast