starting strength gym

Thread: Perceived bar path issue: real or camera angle off?

Default Perceived bar path issue: real or camera angle off?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looks like my bar path isn't quite straight up and down (mostly evident near the bottom) but I can't quite tell if it's truly off or I'm perceiving it that way due to camera angel. If it's real, does it appear to be a back or knee issue? Also, on some of these, am I going an inch or so too low? This is from today, sets 2 and 3, at 285 (so at least weight keeps moving in the right direction!):

Lift starts at 35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec811CXZNcs

Lift starts at 50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6CmIfdBsMM

You get a little forward out of the hole on some reps. Knee slide is still pretty bad, Danny Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You get a little forward out of the hole on some reps. Knee slide is still pretty bad, Danny Boy.
    So this may sound stupid, but is there a chance that the camera angle is making it look like knee slide is worse than it is? I ask that only because I brought this up during my last coaching session a few weeks ago, and he said he didn't see any cause for concern on that front. Could be you and he just have different thoughts on what constitutes problematic knee slide also.

Now just hoping I can keep up the rate of gain on the advanced novice program another three weeks (since three weeks from today is, in theory, when the squat will be three plates!).

By the way, other than knee slide (which so far hasn't impeded progress), anything that'll get in the way of that three-week goal of three plates?

You've also got a problem with tilting your head back as you take your breath. Keep the cervical spine neutrally aligned.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    By the way, other than knee slide (which so far hasn't impeded progress), anything that'll get in the way of that three-week goal of three plates?
    Your knees don't really stop anywhere along your squat, they go forward and then straight back. They need to be in place for the bottom half of the decent and ascent.