starting strength gym

Thread: Help me sort my squat out

Jonathan Sutton Guest

Default Help me sort my squat out

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all. I posted this same video up in the SS coach Q&A but they're busy guys, so I thought I'd (shamelessly) cross-post here for some more comments.

This is set 2 and 3 of 3x3 at 180kg/397lb.

What I can see is that my knees are shooting back as I initiate the drive, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm also aware that the reps are a little inconsistent, and the bar travels a bit forward on reps 2 and 3 of the first set - that's a consequence of a) DOMS and not warming up properly and b) over-thinking the squats, I think.

Any suggestions or areas for improvement? Cheers.

Edit: I just realised after watching this again on a proper screen that the quality's not very good. I can re-upload a higher quality version if it would make things easier.

Last edited by Jonathan Sutton; 06-17-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Jonathan Sutton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Fix your wrists if you can, I actually think this more important than just preventing forearm pain. I think you're letting the weight get behind the mid foot.

I think you're going a shade too deep. Stay tighter and cut these off a bit.

Not bad overall. It looks light.
    Thanks for the feedback. Wrists are a consequence of having long forearms, and switching from high to low bar relatively recently - the bar still doesn't feel entirely stable with hands over the top. I'll work at it though.

Depth - I'm surprised, I thought these looked a little high.

Forgot to mention, these are ~85% of my 1RM, so about the right range for lightish 3 rep sets.