starting strength gym

Thread: Holy Smokes... Sprints!

Default Holy Smokes... Sprints!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My apologies if this has been covered in another thread, but I did some searching and was unable to dig anything up.

So I've been doing Starting Strength for about 4.5 months, and have experienced great success. After reaching weights in line with my goals, I decided to dabble in other movements to see the effect that the added strength has had and how it translates (box jumps, prowler sprints, regular sprints, kettle bells, etc).

So, my question is about regular, straight up sprints. I understand that they are a completely different stress on the muscles compared to lifting heavy, but I'd like to better understand why they have completed laid me on my ass for a couple days, and thought somebody on this board may be able to provide some insight.

Months of squatting and deadlifting very heavy weight, and it is a small set of eight, 60m sprints that has just destroyed my legs (not injured, but holy crap are they ever sore). A very different soreness, and tightness, than the DOMS from heavy squats and deads. Seems to be a straight line up the front/centre of my quads, and the same up the hamstrings.

Why is this the case? Is it because sprinting is primarily (if not all) concentric movement? Is it simply because I haven't worked the "fast twitch" muscles in so long?

Thanks everyone for your expertise and insight.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeteriabananas View Post
    I understand that they are a completely different stress on the muscles compared to lifting heavy, but I'd like to better understand why they have completed laid me on my ass for a couple days, and thought somebody on this board may be able to provide some insight.
    If you understand this, then you know why. You are adapted to what you do. You have been lifting heavy, not sprinting. That's primarily why.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeteriabananas View Post
    Months of squatting and deadlifting very heavy weight, and it is a small set of eight, 60m sprints that has just destroyed my legs (not injured, but holy crap are they ever sore).
    A workout consisting of 8x60m sprints is not all that small when it comes to how many steps you took. The volume is high, in an activity you're unadapted to, with a lot of eccentric in it (decelerating every step). That's probably why you got so sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    A workout consisting of 8x60m sprints is not all that small when it comes to how many steps you took. The volume is high, in an activity you're unadapted to, with a lot of eccentric in it (decelerating every step). That's probably why you got so sore.
    Interesting. I just assumed that, as there is no eccentric portion to a prowler sprint (or at least this is what I have heard Rip and others say), that a sprint with no resistance would be similar. Very naive of me and, after thinking about it more in depth, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks Michael.

Thanks for the link Jordan!

Just got back from the gym, doing squats with my normal 5RM. Totally gutted by the sprints 3 days ago. Had to dial back the weight. Annoying, but also interesting and a good learning experience...