starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tendinitis is a persistent bastard, question and rant.

Default Tendinitis is a persistent bastard, question and rant.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have some nasty posterior tibial tendinitis. The portion of the tendon just below the ankle is hurting like a Mother, as RIP has said before "Tendinitis is a persistent bastard. "

I got it checked out today and the Podiatrist confirmed I have very flat feet which I could have told him myself. He also said the bone spur there didn't help either. Years of running (no regrets) has built up arthritis as well, (still no regrets and I am sure it is part of just being a 46 year old male). I am just grabbing life by the tits (RIPism) while I still can and doing what I enjoy. Matter of fact, once I am better I will Lift heavy on an LP again and once again piss my wife off and run endless hours training for one last Hartford Marathon to try and get under 4 hours. I want to see how much Strength training when incorporated will help. (not asking any advice for the running part)

The question is do I need to stay off my feet and skip squats, dead's and overhead press for a while. I tend to notice it more once I get up in weight, especially squats and dead's when I go over 350lbs. (top squat 425) Should I just heed my Dr.'s advice to stay off it for a few weeks until I get my new orthotics or maybe squat light high reps? I do not do well with sitting around doing nothing.

When I told the Dr. I was a Marathon runner (being a bigger than average dude AKA 260lb Clydesdale, which is in fact insane) he didn't bat an eye. He just simply said no running for a bit which I agreed. I have not really done anything but little intervals here and there at the track since my Meniscus surgery last November (in the same knee). More walking and hiking and rock climbing than anything.

The crazy part was how his face did change when I asked about Squats and weight training. . . he said " Cant you just work upper body for a while". So this is twice I got a funny look from two separate medical professionals in one year when I discussed squats and weight training, once from him and once from my PT (big surprise) last November.

Maybe I am drinking the kool Aid (Although I still love running) but I feel like I am part of some weird cult when I tell people I have a squat rack in my basement and I lift heavy weights. Like a 50 shades of weightlifting movie with my secret fantasy room. I am strong AF now, more so than ever before in my life, so I am good with drinking the juice!

Anyway I thought to myself, I will ask my kool aid drinking friends in the forum as my Podiatrist may be a very smart MD but from the looks of it he doesn't train or understand its importance.

This is probably my fault from years of abuse and also squatting in chucks (I know DUMB bastard I am) but I am just looking for a little go forward guidance besides get some new WL shoes before I squat again.

Thanks!

Sparky

There is one Unassailable Truth: tendonitis does not heal during a layoff. You have to train though it. You decide how.

I thought as much. I think I just wanted to hear it from someone else. I think the Dr. Shook my training nerve for a second. Won't happen again.

Ironically I was at Disney all last week with the family and I walked everywhere, continually on my feet and except for a few minutes here and there at night back at the hotel it seemed fine. Almost seems worse when sitting on my ass doing nothing.

Thanks RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is one Unassailable Truth: tendonitis does not heal during a layoff. You have to train though it. You decide how.
    Tendonitis of all sorts, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, Stress Fractures, Shoulder Impingement Syndrome, etc means you have upset the Stress-Recovery-Adaptation model and found yourself in the dark shadow of it. Proper application of programming, with proper technique, with an ever increasing but deliberate mathematical progression is the prescription. Only then will these aches and pains find their final resting place. Get under the bar and allow your tendonitis to find eternal peace.

I actually trained today on lunch. I did a little lower weight and a little more volume (SQ 225, OP 100 and DL 225). Did that along with a 3.2 mile walk in my neighborhood at 6am when I hopped out of bed.

Drum roll . . . . . . . It feels actually better than last night when I wrote my original post and the past few days when I did nothing. I put ice on when finished just as habit. No NSAIDs needed, no voodoo, no changing form, just pure compound lifts to train.

Love me some of that SS Kool Aid boys and girls, the more I drink the more this stuff works.

Thanks!

Sparky

Hi,

I have quite some pain in my biceps after low bar squatting.. Especially in the attachment to the shoulder. I had to stop training for 1 month due to travel with work. I thought that I had finally gotten rid of it when I was pain free after my first session back from travel. However, the pain emerged in the second session. In the third session I choose to do bench first, because I am so tired of biceps pain halting my progress in the upper body lifts. After that I had to high bar squat because the pain was too much when low bar squatting.

So I will finally record my lift for a form check here, because this has staggered my progress in the upper body lifts for several months.

While I work on shoulder flexibility and form, I have some different approaches to my training, but I would appreciate your input on what would be the most effective in getting rid of this tendonitis, and at the same time go back to getting stronger asap. Should I:

- lower the weight on the work sets to a level where the pain is not "that bad", and then increase from there?
    - Switch to high bar for now, where I can squat pain free at much heavier work sets, and gradually switch back to low bar?
    - or any other approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So true. Maybe we could start a support group though.

Hi, I'm Jonathan and I have tendonitis.

Quote Originally Posted by espl88 View Post
    Hi,

I have quite some pain in my biceps after low bar squatting.. Especially in the attachment to the shoulder. I had to stop training for 1 month due to travel with work. I thought that I had finally gotten rid of it when I was pain free after my first session back from travel. However, the pain emerged in the second session. In the third session I choose to do bench first, because I am so tired of biceps pain halting my progress in the upper body lifts. After that I had to high bar squat because the pain was too much when low bar squatting.

So I will finally record my lift for a form check here, because this has staggered my progress in the upper body lifts for several months.

While I work on shoulder flexibility and form, I have some different approaches to my training, but I would appreciate your input on what would be the most effective in getting rid of this tendonitis, and at the same time go back to getting stronger asap. Should I:

- lower the weight on the work sets to a level where the pain is not "that bad", and then increase from there?
    - Switch to high bar for now, where I can squat pain free at much heavier work sets, and gradually switch back to low bar?
    - or any other approach?
    I don't know, because I do not know precisely where the tendonitis is.

I feels like it's in both biceps tendons, the one attaching to the shoulder being the worst. I dont feel pain in the areas typically for golfer's or tennis elbow.

starting strength coach development program
    And you don't know where it is either. Look up the biceps anatomy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast