starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 210 lb's

Default Squat form check 210 lb's

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, I'm a novice with some mild lower back pain. I just want my form corrected before I start moving the big boy weight. Thanks so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCKtb8xrQWE

Instead of over-arching your back keep it neutral. To learn how to keep your core rigid and have a neutral back in this video it very well explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur..._B0ZGvrU#t=112.
    Your top position goes on your toes. Remove that.
    Otherwise I think your form is good.

Last edited by mZak; 04-18-2015 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Double post.

Don't over-extend your lower back. Think flat neutral spine locked in place with a strong valsalva. Lean over more (cue: point your nipples at the floor) and drive up with your hips. Put off raising your chest as long as you can.

Neutralizing back adds some forward leaning. But I wouldn't lean purposefully any more. That's because his stance is now quite wide and he get more power from hip by keeping bit more upward position.
    Of course if we want to follow Starting Strength squat style he should watch closer, stand narrower and sit back more. Anyway I think his current form is closer the way how powerlifters usually do and IMHO that's not what he should avoid.

A couple of perhaps minor points. 1. What kind of shoes are those? 2. You may not need to step as far back as you do when setting up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mZak View Post
    Neutralizing back adds some forward leaning. But I wouldn't lean purposefully any more. That's because his stance is now quite wide and he get more power from hip by keeping bit more upward position.
    Of course if we want to follow Starting Strength squat style he should watch closer, stand narrower and sit back more. Anyway I think his current form is closer the way how powerlifters usually do and IMHO that's not what he should avoid.
    This does not compute.