starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Last set of 5, 125kg.

I'd appreciate some feedback on these. What strikes me looking at the video is that I lose hip drive about halfway up because I'm lifting my chest.

Thoughts?

I could be incorrect, but you seem to be taking a long time inbetween reps.

Yeah I'm not overly worried about the time between reps, it's my last work set like you said and it's not like I can take it easy and rest up with a bar on my back.

I should be able to put the j-hooks up another hole, will try it tomorrow. I thought the bar height in the rack was supposed to be about mid-sternum, but I can't remember where I read that and my google-fu is revealing nothing.

Hah! I knew I had seen it somewhere in the books. So yeah, mid sternum is where I've currently got it set, but maybe my anthropometry dictates me setting the hooks a little higher to not have to bro-squat in order to unrack the bar.

And yes, not looking for comfort here, looking to get stronger. But even the little weights I'm lifting do sound more impressive in pounds. One hundred becomes hundreds. Rather nice, that.

Tried out the j-hooks one hole higher. I'm pretty surprised and feel more than a little foolish, to be honest. It made a really big difference to how easy it is to rack/unrack the bar.

Today's set.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    That's what form checks are for. Picking up things you might miss and stand in as a training partner substitute.

That was a pretty clean set to boot. Keep up the solid progress!
    Yeah, unfortunately there are no good coaches, (that I know of at least), anywhere near me so this is the best option for me. I find filming my sets allows me to a) check my own form and get feedback from others and b) helps me keep myself accountable.

Thanks for the feedback, mgilchrest.