starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats: stopping forward knee movement?

Default Squats: stopping forward knee movement?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    One of my last lingering form issues would seem to be that my knees continue moving forward through the entire descent on the squat. Aside from the fact that it's not the right way to squat, does it seem to be impacting any other part of form (such as bar getting forward of mid-foot)? Sometimes it feels like I shift my weight forward too much but that could be in my head.

This is from today and other than repositioning a bit after the first rep I felt pretty good about them (lift starts at 28):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4V-...4&spfreload=10

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    One of my last lingering form issues would seem to be that my knees continue moving forward through the entire descent on the squat. Aside from the fact that it's not the right way to squat, does it seem to be impacting any other part of form (such as bar getting forward of mid-foot)? Sometimes it feels like I shift my weight forward too much but that could be in my head.

This is from today and other than repositioning a bit after the first rep I felt pretty good about them (lift starts at 28):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4V-...4&spfreload=10
    We want more hamstring involvement in your squats than the forward-shifting knees allow. You're a perfect candidate for TUBOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    We want more hamstring involvement in your squats than the forward-shifting knees allow. You're a perfect candidate for TUBOW.
    Well, on your recommendation I'll try it again. I think it's just easier to lower myself via knees than hams and I need to force myself to get more ham stretch. Otherwise how'd they look?

Well, on your recommendation I'll try it again. I think it's just easier to lower myself via knees than hams and I need to force myself to get more ham stretch. Otherwise how'd they look?
    Like you need to sit back more (hence the TUBOW), stay mid-foot (hopefully the TUBOW will help this too), and shove your knees out better from the beginning of the descent until you're standing up again. (A recording of me yelling "KNEES OUT" will help, perhaps. It's $19.99, available in cassette or micro-cassette format, and can be ordered from my website).

So it will work in my Sony Walkman? Excellent.

So I worked on this specifically today (though not TUBOW) and I think the knees stay out a lot better, and I feel like I stay in my hips for a sufficient part of the ascent but the sticking point is the "sitting back" and letting my hams stretch instead of my knees continuing to bend.

One thing I noticed, and perhaps it's just a "get used to it" is that a 4in belt will tend to either jam into my ribs if too high, or jams into my hip bones, prohibiting me from "folding over" sufficiently at the hips to truly sit back. What am I doing wrong in that regard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMs...U&spfreload=10

So I worked on this specifically today (though not TUBOW) and I think the knees stay out a lot better, and I feel like I stay in my hips for a sufficient part of the ascent but the sticking point is the "sitting back" and letting my hams stretch instead of my knees continuing to bend.

One thing I noticed, and perhaps it's just a "get used to it" is that a 4in belt will tend to either jam into my ribs if too high, or jams into my hip bones, prohibiting me from "folding over" sufficiently at the hips to truly sit back. What am I doing wrong in that regard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMs...U&spfreload=10
    I think you need to spend some serious time getting that belt broken in and take a video from a more sidewardsly (yes, that's a word) angle if you want us to look at how much your knees come forward.

A minor nitpick, but you might also want to go ahead and start working on getting that right wrist straight, since it could cause problems later. It looks like it's bearing some of the load in a way the left one doesn't, but it's hard to tell for sure from the video since it gets cut off in both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I think you need to spend some serious time getting that belt broken in and take a video from a more sidewardsly (yes, that's a word) angle if you want us to look at how much your knees come forward.
    Thanks, will take from the side next time for analysis. If there's a knee issue, that should also help diagnose whether I'm coming too far forward, or just continuing the knee movement throughout the entire descent.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    A minor nitpick, but you might also want to go ahead and start working on getting that right wrist straight, since it could cause problems later. It looks like it's bearing some of the load in a way the left one doesn't, but it's hard to tell for sure from the video since it gets cut off in both of them.
    Yea, I feel like I may be a little lopsided in some way with my setup (could just be that right shoulder is tighter) but I've noticed this too. What are your thoughts on widening the grip as a fix? And, if I do that, should I widen on both sides (for symmetry) or just on the right (to take care of the issue at hand. Get it, at hand )?

starting strength coach development program
    Yea, I feel like I may be a little lopsided in some way with my setup (could just be that right shoulder is tighter) but I've noticed this too. What are your thoughts on widening the grip as a fix? And, if I do that, should I widen on both sides (for symmetry) or just on the right (to take care of the issue at hand. Get it, at hand )?
    Looks to me like someone just yelling at you to straighten your wrist before you unrack would probably fix it. A cue I use for myself that works pretty well is to spin the bar up/forward with my wrists after I get under it... the elbows come up and the wrists straighten on top of the bar.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast