starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (135kg x5)

Default Squat form check (135kg x5)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, so I have this unplanned, unexpected video of me squatting... I figured I'd ask for tips and critique. I'm really sorry for the quality and the angles, I didn't really plan to make it for a form check. I'll understand if you can't see enough, but I'll also appreciate the help

Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9n...ew?usp=sharing

edit: Being a dumb cunt, I forgot to let you view the video. It has been fixed
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 05-02-2015 at 09:18 AM.

You have an exaggerated break at the hips - to the point where your back angle is almost fully established before your knee angle has changed much at all. Ideally hips and knees should break together, then knees stop their forward travel by at least half way down, then it's all sitting back and down. Your knees slide forward all the way to the bottom. Your knees may also not be out far enough, but the angle doesn't make that clear.

As a result the bar looks to be moving forward for the whole descent, and is forward of the mid-point of your foot by the time you have to turn it around and ascend - it actually goes forward a little further as you bounce out. Your back looks to round a little as that happens - you're struggling at that point because the forward weight wants you to tip over. This kills your hip drive & you have to quad it back up.

Get your knees forward earlier (by at least halfway), then stop them there. Sit your ass back & down, ready for some concerted hip drive to get you moving back up. TUBOW (terribly useful block of wood) can help you here. Also think master cue - bar over mid-foot for the entire path. I suggest you do some planned & expected videos to check your progress as it can be difficult to feel as opposed to watch what's going wrong/right.

Thanks. I'll hoover around 135 until I improve. I was suspicions of the bar path, but I only noticed on heavy sets.