starting strength gym

Thread: Another Squat Form Check

Default Another Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I've tried to improve a few things from last form check. Any advice appreciated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjKE79WEEAs

The bar path still isn't 100% straight, I've been trying to sit back more, but at the bottom of the rep, the bar seems to move forward a little bit. Any advice on this?

cheers,Tom

Tom,

It looks like you have a couple things going on. Right at the bottom, your knees slide forward a tiny bit, then your hips rise faster than the bar, causing it to come forward slightly. You also lose hip drive as you lift your chest to soon on the way up. Bend over sooner and more, (aim your nipples at the floor) and really focus on driving your hips all the way up. Also, get some shoes, seriously.

Thanks. I used to bend over more, but I changed because I thought I was bending over too much. I think I have tight/short hip flexors, so when I am more bent over, I can't quite get to depth, whereas when I bend over less I find it easy to go that inch deeper to get to parallel.

Everyone keeps telling me to get shoes. Would olly shoes help me in my issues that Scott mentioned above? What are peoples experience from switching from barefoot/flats to olly shoes low bar?

Thanks

The general consensus of damn near every lifter here is that shoes are better. I didn't understand until last week when mine arrived, and it is a night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tmiddled View Post
    Thanks. I used to bend over more, but I changed because I thought I was bending over too much. I think I have tight/short hip flexors, so when I am more bent over, I can't quite get to depth, whereas when I bend over less I find it easy to go that inch deeper to get to parallel.

Everyone keeps telling me to get shoes. Would olly shoes help me in my issues that Scott mentioned above? What are peoples experience from switching from barefoot/flats to olly shoes low bar?

Thanks
    I am certainly no expert, but the first paragraph doesn't make sense to me. Even if your hip flexors are tight and/or short they shouldn't stop you from leaning over more as they would be even shorter when leaned over more which in return would be more comfortable for them.

What is really happening when you bend over less is that you are getting that final inch by letting your knees slide forward. Lean over more and STAY TIGHT. Get your knees in position about halfway down, push them out and sit back with your hips.

When I switched to olympic shoes, I had to deload a bit to get used to the new angles. I understand the logic of using them (more quad involvement) and have faith in that I at least don't get any disadvantages from them. And I REALLY enjoy the stability and consistency. You don't have to think about your feet after you put them in position. Get a pair and you don't ever have to think about it again.