starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check...worse than my squat...

Default DL form check...worse than my squat...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here is today's DL. 280x5. Warm ups were: 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 265x1. I did this after Squats & BP.

Issues I know of:

1) rounding upper back
    2) I think my hips are too high (probably related to not setting my upper back/chest up properly)
    3) Feel like I am lifting only with my back, not with my hips/legs at all

Note: I had to switch to mixed group for the first time today (did it after failing 2nd rep). I also DL every other workout now and alternate with PCs (which I do very light as I am working on form....65lb)

questions:
    1) how bad is it...what do I need to work on
    2) if I were your client, would you let me go to 285 or would you tell me to repeat and focus on form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYLTCF0a_R4
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 06-18-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Back is definitely significantly rounded. Doesn't look like you ever get it set properly to begin with. It needs to be set hard and tight. Do you follow Rips steps made simple? deadlift technique - Follow that link and pay extra careful attention to the end of step #1 and step #4 as they for sure apply to you.

Bar path is also all over the place. Might not be directly over mid foot at setup. You need to pull it in contact with your shins the entire time (sweats may help) and break from the top with your hips first before bending your knees so that you don't bring the bar out and around.

I'm not a coach by any stretch, but if I was you I would do a significant deload to work on these things.

Your back in rounded in part because your hips are too low. They are certainly not too high. But more importantly you are not squozed. Your mouth would not be open if you were. Being squozed (the tightest valsalva you can experience) means that you squeeze as hard as you can then squeeze some more without breathing. Keep you head down and your chest up.