starting strength gym

Thread: Switching from focus on Running to focus on Strength Training - Is SS for me?

Default Switching from focus on Running to focus on Strength Training - Is SS for me?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone!

I'm a 40-year old who's kind of a late bloomer when it comes to training. The story begins about three years ago when my weight was 280 lbs and I decided that something needed to be done. I started with a VLCD which lasted for about four months and then I started to eat a bit more normal and doing some Strength Training and running. After a total of six months I had dropped to 176 lbs and was content about my weight.

During this I extended my running training and felt I did some very nice progress in that area but as I became better and better at running I started to like Strength Training more and more (weird huh?). So last summer I decided that I gradually should start to focus a more on my Strength Training but at the same time keep my running training at the same level. Since I wanted to progress with a simple and efficient program, I felt that SS suited my needs perfectly.

I'm not really sure what the problem was exactly, if I started with too much weight or if I just sucked at recovering from the extensive running I was doing at the same time, but it didn't take many weeks before I couldn't progress at all and I wasn't very happy going to the gym anymore (started to develop some kind of fear for lifting heavy, especially when it came to squats). So I gave up SS and started with a new program and have been trying another one since then. I realized that I wouldn't be able to progress with my Strength Training while I was doing extensive running, so I just tried to keep from losing strength instead of gaining while planning for a period where I wouldn't do any more running for some time but instead focus on Strength Training (had some races I wanted to complete before pausing running).

So here I am, almost a whole year later, where I really looking forward to getting stronger and hold back running for a while. So what do you guys think, even though I have been doing Strength Training for about 2½ years (as a complement to my running), is it possible that SS still would work for me if I would pause the running or have I destroyed my chances of newbie gains because the running and the fact that I've been Strength Training for quite a while now (without any real progress though)?

Thanks a lot for taking your time of reading this post!
    //Bender

Welcome, Bender!

There are a few of us geezers with the same issues you seem to be asking about. I am certainly interested in continuing to do what I do while also making gains in strength. At our age, though, we start to lose our ability to recover as easily/quickly as the younger pups, and this might show up as stalling in a novice program much sooner than expected. If this is the case, your ability to make consistent linear progressions in weight on the SS program may become more challenging. You might benefit from considering an Intermediate program, which takes into account the longer rest/recovery needs of those like us, and uses weekly increases in weight rather than the workout-to-workout increases on the Novice (SS) programs. I got a lot of useful information from Rip's Practical Programming book, which addressed the older lifter well. And lots of support from the guys here.

You'll find a ton of support and encouragement here from the Geezer Posse.

What are your goals?

Gain more muscle and strength?

Gain weight?

How tall are you?

I'd guess that even at 40 you aren't beyond the ability to make newbie gains, albeit at a slower pace like Bean said. That's OK, because you have plenty of time to make progress, more than you might think even at 40. If you were doing a lot of running during your first try, it probably impaired your recovery. So pick your exercise of choice, but recognize that you'll need to balance your exercise in terms of amount and intensity with your real goals. I'd suggest cutting your cardio to a minimum in order to achieve your other goals. Further weight loss doesn't seem to be one of them. You've already achieved that goal, now concentrate on the next one. You have probably developed some strong self discipline and even aversion to eating enough to fuel your goals toward more weight and strength, so keep that in mind as well. You could for instance maintain your basic cardio fitness levels with a twice a week GXP. This consists of a 5 minute ramp up to 85% of MHR, maintaining that 85% of MHR for 5 minutes, and then ramping down over 5 minutes. I've done this for over a year and keeps me in the Excellent category for VO2 Max in my own 60+ age group. Just some approaches to consider, but fundamentally you have to identify your goal and focus on it. Then do what it takes to get there. You have already done this with your weight loss, so you know the way.

Welcome Bender. I was running way too much and not eating enough when I started SS and so made gains, but was kinda spinning my wheels for quite some time. I suspect that if you cut out the running more or less entirely for a while (and make sure you eat a lot), that you would have some linear progression ahead of you. It's worth a try anyway. And when you do the math, even 3 months of true LP equals a lot of weight on the bar. Make sure that you start on the light side and that your form is good, and let 'er rip. And yes your works sets will feel heavy, but when you catch the wave, the weigh feels equally heavy session to session, but the poundage will be going up dramatically. Eventually squating 3 times a week will be too much, then something like 5/3/1 might be appropriate, and then adding in some cardio (walking or high intensity is probably best) wouldn't hurt your continued progress. Good luck and at 40, age should barely be a factor!

Quote Originally Posted by Bean1871 View Post
    Welcome, Bender!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bean1871 View Post
    There are a few of us geezers with the same issues you seem to be asking about. I am certainly interested in continuing to do what I do while also making gains in strength. At our age, though, we start to lose our ability to recover as easily/quickly as the younger pups, and this might show up as stalling in a novice program much sooner than expected. If this is the case, your ability to make consistent linear progressions in weight on the SS program may become more challenging. You might benefit from considering an Intermediate program, which takes into account the longer rest/recovery needs of those like us, and uses weekly increases in weight rather than the workout-to-workout increases on the Novice (SS) programs. I got a lot of useful information from Rip's Practical Programming book, which addressed the older lifter well. And lots of support from the guys here.

You'll find a ton of support and encouragement here from the Geezer Posse.
    Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    What are your goals?

Gain more muscle and strength?

Gain weight?

How tall are you?
    My goals will be becoming "advanced" (according to Weightlifting Performance Standards) in Bench Press, Press, Deadlift and Squat.

I wouldn't mind gaining some muscle volume while doing so, but it's strength that will be my primarily goal.

I'm 6' 2½" weighing 178 lbs at the moment and the only weight I want to gain is from muscles (lean gain?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'd guess that even at 40 you aren't beyond the ability to make newbie gains, albeit at a slower pace like Bean said. That's OK, because you have plenty of time to make progress, more than you might think even at 40. If you were doing a lot of running during your first try, it probably impaired your recovery. So pick your exercise of choice, but recognize that you'll need to balance your exercise in terms of amount and intensity with your real goals. I'd suggest cutting your cardio to a minimum in order to achieve your other goals. Further weight loss doesn't seem to be one of them. You've already achieved that goal, now concentrate on the next one. You have probably developed some strong self discipline and even aversion to eating enough to fuel your goals toward more weight and strength, so keep that in mind as well. You could for instance maintain your basic cardio fitness levels with a twice a week GXP. This consists of a 5 minute ramp up to 85% of MHR, maintaining that 85% of MHR for 5 minutes, and then ramping down over 5 minutes. I've done this for over a year and keeps me in the Excellent category for VO2 Max in my own 60+ age group. Just some approaches to consider, but fundamentally you have to identify your goal and focus on it. Then do what it takes to get there. You have already done this with your weight loss, so you know the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Welcome Bender.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I was running way too much and not eating enough when I started SS and so made gains, but was kinda spinning my wheels for quite some time. I suspect that if you cut out the running more or less entirely for a while (and make sure you eat a lot), that you would have some linear progression ahead of you. It's worth a try anyway. And when you do the math, even 3 months of true LP equals a lot of weight on the bar. Make sure that you start on the light side and that your form is good, and let 'er rip. And yes your works sets will feel heavy, but when you catch the wave, the weigh feels equally heavy session to session, but the poundage will be going up dramatically. Eventually squating 3 times a week will be too much, then something like 5/3/1 might be appropriate, and then adding in some cardio (walking or high intensity is probably best) wouldn't hurt your continued progress. Good luck and at 40, age should barely be a factor!
    So to sum things up:

- Keep cardio at a minimum (GXP seems really interesting, thanks for the tip!).
    - Expect slower progress.
    - Linear progression will probably last shorter than for a younger person.

I have a hard time when it comes to the eating part since I've been fat before (like Mark pointed out I have an aversion towards eating enough) but I really hope that eating enough to keep me at calorie balance (or maybe just a tiny tad above) will be sufficient.

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated!

Bender I was a fat kid, and lost it my senior year in high school after football season from 235 getting down to 180 (at 5'11") for college. No one wanted to fuck a fat fuck so I figured just maybe I might better my odds. Didn't matter. Through a lot of cardio and careful eating I stayed between 170 and 185 until my mid 40's when some bad work experiences led to a lot of self medicating with too much alcohol and food, and I ended up at 235 again. I just got back down to 210 again a few months ago from 23, so believe me, I in part understand some of the phenomenon you are undergoing about thinking on this matter. At 6'2" you could easily be at 215 - 230 lbs. depending on your bone structure, so you can increase you food intake a good bit I'd suspect for some time.

You will not reach those "advanced" targets if you don't eat. You probably need to gain 20 lbs at least - a third will be fat, but won't be hard to lose later by adjusting diet only... after you're strong! It a shame to do the work, but not eat enough to recover and reap the benefits. Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    My goals will be becoming "advanced" (according to Weightlifting Performance Standards) in Bench Press, Press, Deadlift and Squat.

I wouldn't mind gaining some muscle volume while doing so, but it's strength that will be my primarily goal.

I'm 6' 2½" weighing 178 lbs at the moment and the only weight I want to gain is from muscles (lean gain?).
    I'm probably the only person on this forum who might be able to get away w/ being on SS and not eating, and I'm 5'10" 290. And I've eaten anyway. And I lost weight, and gained muscle, even while my appetite shot through the roof. If I had taken the time to try and cut calories, I probably would have lost more weight, but I wouldn't have gained nearly as much strength/muscle.

So to sum things up:

- Keep cardio at a minimum (GXP seems really interesting, thanks for the tip!).
    - Expect slower progress.
    - Linear progression will probably last shorter than for a younger person.

I have a hard time when it comes to the eating part since I've been fat before (like Mark pointed out I have an aversion towards eating enough) but I really hope that eating enough to keep me at calorie balance (or maybe just a tiny tad above) will be sufficient.

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated!
    As far as cardio is concerned, if you do it, do it on the days you lift, after you lift, or on Saturday, if you lift MWF. On TThSu, do something that won't conflict with your recovery-- a light jog, stretching, yoga, scoping out hot chicks jogging in yoga tights, whatever floats your boat. Just make certain the intensity is dialed way down.