starting strength gym

Thread: My progress report

Default My progress report

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone,

After posting in here about 3 weeks back with my frustrations on lack of progress, i've since knuckled down and tried hard to do the necessary.

I was squatting 70kg 3x5 and this is now up to 76kg 3x5 and progressing nicely. I'm gaining weight too, up from 158 lb 3 weeks ago to 165 lb now. I know these numbers aren't much to shout about compared to the standards on here but at least its going in the right direction, and my motivation is alot better now too.

Today I wanted to do something different so I did single reps up to 90kg (could have gone higher I think but didn't want to injure myself). Is it ok to do this occasionally, like once a month or something? It felt nice to do something a bit different, and I'm hoping that by doing this every now and then it might help push my 3x5 onwards.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Regards
    Dan

Nice to hear your training is moving along well. Don't stress out about comparing your progress with other people, progress is progress, and gaining 7 lbs of BW in 3 weeks is par for the course.

It's fine if you want to do heavy singles every once in a while to see where you are, as long as you understand that it will have a different (and less predictable) training effect than your standard sets across. But right now, the most important thing is that you enjoy your training and are motivated.