starting strength gym

Thread: Spinal Traction/Decompression

Default Spinal Traction/Decompression

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I've tweaked my back a few times over the last couple years and, most recently, worked through it using your recommendation of spinal traction (with almost miraculous ease in comparison to past recovery times). So thank you very much for that!

My question: Besides feeling good, is there any benefit to doing preventative spinal decompression to help ward off future back tweaks, or is it something that is only beneficial once an injury is present?

I don't know whether spinal decompression has a prophylactic effect on a normal back or not. It seems logical that once an issue arises that decompression has helped, it would be better to decompress regularly. But, I don't know.

Every time I make a run at SS I tweak my lower back. The last time was 2 weeks ago, I didn't pull from the floor for a week. Loaded up 265 for DL on Tuesday after warmups which felt fine, got 2 reps in and on the third got half way to knees AMD it felt like I was going to snap my back in two. I know I have the strength, pulled more in the past and my squats are back to 255. But I have what feels like a pinpoint in my lower back that feels fragile for lack of a better word. I'm sure it's a bad disc because the muscle around it gets sore. Would decompression help this? I am still squatting pain free. I'm in contact with Beau from Westminster to get some form coaching in the next week or two.

Your form is bad. Beau will fix this.

According to a stuntman I know, bearing in mind that these guys go through a lot of axial and other types of loading constantly.

Yes, doing... it often helps prevent shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    Every time I make a run at SS I tweak my lower back. The last time was 2 weeks ago, I didn't pull from the floor for a week. Loaded up 265 for DL on Tuesday after warmups which felt fine, got 2 reps in and on the third got half way to knees AMD it felt like I was going to snap my back in two. I know I have the strength, pulled more in the past and my squats are back to 255. But I have what feels like a pinpoint in my lower back that feels fragile for lack of a better word. I'm sure it's a bad disc because the muscle around it gets sore. Would decompression help this? I am still squatting pain free. I'm in contact with Beau from Westminster to get some form coaching in the next week or two.
    You in luck. Deadlifts are my wheelhouse. You will be pulling with confidence soon enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    You in luck. Deadlifts are my wheelhouse. You will be pulling with confidence soon enough.
    Looking forward to it. Should I not pull this week and wait til I get coaching from you?