starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How common is it to see the bar not totally horizontal on the back?

Default How common is it to see the bar not totally horizontal on the back?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey coaches, and others.

I've been suffering with on and off pain in my lower left back since I got injured through poor form in march 2015. I have worked up close to where I got to several times but have had to reset because I wasn't happy with my form and the pain began to reoccur. I feel my form in general has been getting better and better but one thing I struggle with is keeping the bar exactly horizontal when I squat...

I am unsure how important this is to maintain decent form? I wonder if the coaches see this in their clients often when the bar isn't totally perpendicular? Is it just a symptom of slightly uneven anthropometry similar as many people needing to have one foot turned out more than the other (that is fairly common right?!)? or should the bar be perfectly horizontal and I need to work on my form?

Thank you for the time. I didn't take a video of my training tonight but can do next session. Here's an old video of one of my sessions that demonstrate my problem though:

Heavy - YouTube

As you can see the bar droops slightly to the right. It's not the best video. Sorry about that but you can see what I mean.

It looks to me like you put the bar lower on your right shoulder, or your delt is not as bunched up. Usually symptomology being exhibited from this occurs on the same side as the low end of the bar, and is usually due to some underlying issue like a leg length discrepancy, but I don't see that here. I do see you getting under the bar crooked - watch your ass as you set up. That's about as much as I can see from this abysmally dark video. So they're still using torches and candles in Merry Old? There's a reason why we say it's a bad idea to wear black in the sticky that no one ever reads....

The center knurl looks slightly left of your spine's center, too.

Hey Steve thanks so much for replying. You too, marcf.

Sorry that video was a disgrace, it was all I had on my computer to demonstrate what I was talking about. I took a couple more videos training tonight to show you. I used extra candle power so hopefully you can see a bit better. I gotta warn you I didn't wear a shirt. My line of thinking was you can see if I'm relaxing certain things much easier, so I hope that's ok. Also, I used the same angle as the previous video as I surmise it's the best way to see what my problem is.

I took two videos, but both demonstrate the problem.

Squat checkup - YouTube

Squat check 2 - YouTube

Thanks for your time.

I would just add to my previous post that I'm using a terribly light weight for my ability in these videos. I am planning on getting it close to perfect and keeping that way moving up to something difficult.

I'm trying to understand something: Are you lifting weights? Or launching them into orbit?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I'm trying to understand something: Are you lifting weights? Or launching them into orbit?
    That's what I was thinking, too.

Damn, your stance is really wide and it looks like you're going too deep. You do this weird twitch thing to initiate your descent and it puts you on your toes--then you're on your toes most of the time. In your second shirtless video, your heels are hopping off the ground.

I think the consensus around here is that you don't have to deload dramatically to perfect your form, because it'll never be perfect. You have to fix form errors at working weights, where form is more likely to break down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Hey Steve thanks so much for replying. You too, marcf.

Sorry that video was a disgrace, it was all I had on my computer to demonstrate what I was talking about. I took a couple more videos training tonight to show you. I used extra candle power so hopefully you can see a bit better. I gotta warn you I didn't wear a shirt. My line of thinking was you can see if I'm relaxing certain things much easier, so I hope that's ok. Also, I used the same angle as the previous video as I surmise it's the best way to see what my problem is.

I took two videos, but both demonstrate the problem.

Squat checkup - YouTube

Squat check 2 - YouTube

Thanks for your time.
    Hello, fellow Brit. FOR ASLIN! *charges forward*

Holy cannoli, the weight actually flew off your back! I know it's light but I've never seen that happen before. I have half a mind to make a parody, slow the video down to when the bar launches off you and play R Kelly's "I believe I can fly" in the background or maybe add a clip of a space shuttle launch in between. :P

In all seriousness, why are you standing up so aggressively when you take the bar out of the rack, it looks like you might be jerking yourself out of position. The cue "stand up with authority" might be useful for trainee's that are lackadaisical when setting up but you don't need to, just stand up/squat it out of the rack.

As Steve Sensei has mentioned, the bar seems to sit lower on your right side, maybe focus on shrugging your right shoulder up? There's definitely a notable difference in your shoulder flexibility. Also, notice how you're gripping the bar more in your left hand, versus almost draping it over with your right, your right thumb is pointing up in the air like it's almost saying "sup dude?". When you're setting up, you're doing the same, draping your right hand over, try to get your right hand wrapped around the bar more.

Your stance is much wider than recommended, even though you're quite leggy. Also, as you've outlined, your right foot is slightly more forward than your left and it's pointed out much more, not ideal at all.

I just watched your 500lbs for a double video, as it was at a better angle. The bar is definitely lower on your right side, you're relaxing at the bottom, knees coming in, dropping your elbows on the drive up, changing your gaze and wiggling around at the top (not something you want to do with a lighter weight, let alone 500lbs on your back).

Honestly dude, I would say bite the bullet and go see Carl Sensei in London, he will fix you up and I'm sure clear up a lot of your concerns (read a lot of your previous posts). If getting stronger and healthier is your priority, you will make this happen and the next post you make will not be filled with excuses about time and money. I hope your make the right choice, especially if you want to hit your goal of 700lbs. Onward noble steed!

Here 3000 miles away I found a barbell in my backyard along with a T-shirt. This explains everything.

starting strength coach development program
    Haha, yeah I've dropped the weight quite a bit, obviously my body is still used to having to rise up with 450lbs. I'll record some more stuff tomorrow with the bar under control. Thanks for watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast