starting strength gym

Thread: Has anyone not found any success with speed sets?

Default Has anyone not found any success with speed sets?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Back in high school I started a variation of Westside once I hit the wall doing my own workout. I did it for at least 2-3 months and my lifts did not increase one bit.
    I am pretty sure I was at least doing the speed sets for benching right.

I've only done speed sets once since then (couple days ago did speed deads while my trap twinge was recovering).

I've heard great stuff about speed sets but they didn't work for me at all. It very well could have been that I was doing the other part of the program wrong, but I don't remember 5+ years ago.

I do a lot of deadlifting with an emphasis on speed. I noticed it has increased my deadlift initially by 30lbs within 2 weeks. But I am a novice so don't take my word for it. At this point in my lifting "career" anything will work. I do however find is interesting that a lot of powerlifters lift lighters weights with an emphasis on speed. Shane Hamman commented on this subject as well.

I've never incorporated them long enough to know if there was additional benefit at an advanced begginer/ intermediate level. However, I have incorporated them a few times and have always felt sore afterwards at about 60% of my max weight with five sets of two so I personally believe they provide a different stimulus than doing sets of five at a heavier weight(i realize soreness is not an indicator of quality of training). I also noticed that my clean went up pretty quickly during this time period but this may have just been the additional practice I had given them as it was a new movement for me. I know this doesn't say much but this is my experience fwiw.