starting strength gym

Thread: Just got my shoes - what lifts should NOT be done in them, if any?

Default Just got my shoes - what lifts should NOT be done in them, if any?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Adidas Power Perfect II's.....what can I say. Fit great, feel great, work great. Had a fantastic session today, was able to high bar squat and get deep without my ankles giving me trouble, and in general I just felt very sturdy.

My question is, are there any exercises I should avoid doing in the program with these on? When deadlifting, my glutes felt on fire compared to usual, although I noticed the bar seemed to have a tendency to try and drift away from me during the lift. Is it because you're not supposed to, or just due to wearing the shoes, and something I should take into account? Thanks.

Any power/olympic lift will be fine. Just don't run or wear them for daily usage.

Quote Originally Posted by flahertyj View Post
    Any power/olympic lift will be fine. Just don't run or wear them for daily usage.
    Thanks. I know that they're not meant for anything particularly athletic, ie running, basketball, etc, due to the design, but was just wondering if there was anything I needed to avoid with them. Really loving them, they make such a difference.

Rip is pretty much alone in recommending squat shoes for deadlifts. That being said, I use Rip's Rogue shoes for deads. A higher heel might not be so forgiving.

I wear mine for everything except for deadlifts.

I do all the lifts. I'm partial to DL in shoes if you plan to OL. Having pulled shoeless and with shoes, I find that using shoes to DL makes my first pull feel better than when I pull without shoes. YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I do all the lifts. I'm partial to DL in shoes if you plan to OL. Having pulled shoeless and with shoes, I find that using shoes to DL makes my first pull feel better than when I pull without shoes. YMMV.
    Agreed. The point of deadlifting for o-lifting is to get a heavier clean and jerk, not a heavier deadlift per se. So it makes sense to use the shoes you'd be using on the o-lifts.