starting strength gym

Thread: Ed Coan 5 day split

Default Ed Coan 5 day split

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    from his DVD series. he said this is what he did for years without much alteration

Monday
    (squat day)
    squats 7-10 sets; (warmups & 1-2 work sets)
    single Leg Press 2-3x10-12 reps
    *the way he does them instantly un-gayifies the thought of doing single leg presses
    Leg extensions 2x10-12 reps
    Single Leg curls 2x10-12 reps
    Seated Calves 3x10-12

Tuesday - off

Wednesday
    (bench day)
    Bench 7-10 sets (warmups & 2 work sets)
    Close grip (paused) 2x10 reps
    Incline (paused) 2x10 reps
    Seated Calves 3x10-12
    abs 3x10-12

Thursday (shoulders)
    seated BTN press 5 sets (warmups & 1-2 work sets)
    DB lateral raise 2x10-12
    DB front raise 2x10-12
    DB rear raise 2x10-12

Friday(deadlift)
    Deadlift 8 sets (warmups &1-2 work sets)
    Stiff leg standing on plate 1x8-10
    Bent Rows 2x8-10
    Pulldowns or chins 2x8-10
    1 arm rows 1x10-12

Saturday
    (light/recovery upper body)
    Wide grip bench(paused) 2x10
    pushdowns 3x8-10
    weighted dips 1x15
    tricep extension 2x8-10
    preacher curls 2x10-12

Sunday-off

**try to do calves and abs on all trainig sessions esp. MWTH

the main lifts follow a progressive overload system (well not really sure if that is what it is called but basically decreasing the reps toward the peak date).
    i can post a sample template if you want but i'm too lazy at the moment. also, if anyone of you has read about this, care to post the percentages? because the template that i have is in working weight.

Thanks for the info Simonsky.

here is the demo for the single leg press as demonstrated by an awesome dude w/ one leg. seeing it explained by ed makes me want to give them a shot. but not even ed coan can convince me to do leg extensions..

You need to be careful w/the leg press. I've been stuck doing single leg presses for about a three months now(ruptured achilles), and going too deep can cause back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    and going too deep can cause back issues.
    Thats only if you let your back round of course. I think its also best to avoid any weight on the leg press that you cannot do for 10 reps. Even then you are putting a suddenly large strain on joints and such compared to your max squat.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    but not even ed coan can convince me to do leg extensions..
    Leg extensions are very good for building up muscles that stabilise the knee. Like vastus medialis, which can be underdeveloped depending on your squatting style.

I've been doing single leg leg presses and I don't think you can "allow your knee to come to the side in order to go deeper" as in a double leg press. because of stability issues for the same reason that you can't do a single leg squat with your leg positioned to the side like you are doing a two-leg squat. It may be possible if you are using light weight but I'm telling you that if you go heavy on the single leg leg press you will place your foot pointing forward on the pad and you won't let your leg go to the side. Also if you allow your leg to go to the side your back will turn sideways for better balance. You don't want your spine moving during a single leg press. Also the distribution of the weight on your knee will be awkward and you might experience knee pain. So go deep but remember that this is a different exercises than a two-leg leg press.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    here is the demo for the single leg press as demonstrated by an awesome dude w/ one leg. seeing it explained by ed makes me want to give them a shot. but not even ed coan can convince me to do leg extensions..

Maybe you should check if you have a brain and stop waiting for someone to tell you what's a good and a bad exercise. Actually I think that almost any exercise can be useful given the right context. And I don't do leg extensions but I do like leg curls because they strengthen the hamstrings insertions at the knees much more than any deadlift variation. I had to learn that the hard way and if I was listening and dick sucking to everybody I wouldn't been improving because it's about finding what work for you instead of following some stupid dogmas made by self-proclaimed fitness gurus.

Lol, coincidentally one of the guys I train with is running a version of this. Strong guy (DL 300+kg @ 95KG).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyStory View Post
    Maybe you should check if you have a brain and stop waiting for someone to tell you what's a good and a bad exercise. Actually I think that almost any exercise can be useful given the right context. And I don't do leg extensions but I do like leg curls because they strengthen the hamstrings insertions at the knees much more than any deadlift variation. I had to learn that the hard way and if I was listening and dick sucking to everybody I wouldn't been improving because it's about finding what work for you instead of following some stupid dogmas made by self-proclaimed fitness gurus.
    toy story bro