starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The opposite of microloading

Default The opposite of microloading

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yes, I know everyone here is a big proponent of microlaoding, just curious about some other training methodologies.

Dan John seems to be pretty well respected here (and everywhere). I've seen him mention, in multiple places, that he recommends only using the big plates, 25s and 45s. No more 2.5s, 5s, or 10s. The idea being you don't get big from progressing from 135 to 137.5. Now I think this is generally geared towards new lifters, and Dan doesn't seem to be a big proponent of laying out generic programs as much as ideas that should be put to use.

Obviously, the overall goal is still strength increase. Just curious if anyone else has input. Anyone here actually trained in a Dan John-esque style (not necessarily the big plate idea). A lot of people like him but I dunno how many people actually use his routines or workouts.

BIGEDIT: you know what, I should just not respond because this flies directly in the face with the logic of linear progression. Have you read the book?
    Last edited by skipbeat; 09-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.

You wont get big just by going from 135 to 137.5.
    You will, though, by going from 135 to 137.5, to 140, to 142.5, to 145, etc...

That's just goofy. How the hell do you jump from a 135 press to 225 without lifting the weights in between?

I think the point is to lift 3s and progress to say 6s then load and do 3s again and so on...
    Obviously it's easier for squat and DL.

I've read about the 25s and 45s plate idea. The idea is you have to get very solid on 135 before you can jump up to 185 and from 185 to 225 and on and on. I think the progression comes in from adding reps. So if you can get, 185 for 10 you can move up and get 225 for 5, then you work up to 225for 10 and then you move up to 275 for five. This seems fine for lower weights but if it takes you a year to add 1 rep at 455 it may take a while. For some assistance exercises where it is hard to micro load this approach can work well - (adding reps I mean).

Do you have a link to the source? I am interested to read the context of this.

Pit it against linear progression so we can see if we can take the easy way out :P

BIGEDIT: you know what, I should just not respond because this flies directly in the face with the logic of linear progression. Have you read the book?
    lol - Well obviously you aren't going to use the same SS type linear progression like this. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think you're going to start at 95, then do your next workout at 135, then your next at 185. I think the progression laid out in SS is probably the way to go (and the way I went), but is discussion on other ways really so bad? Anyways, the goal is obviously progression on reps until you can move to the next weight. Then rep progression of some sort until you are strong enough for the next weight.

This seems fine for lower weights but if it takes you a year to add 1 rep at 455 it may take a while.
    Yeah, that's kinda my thoughts too. Which is why I said I think it's really geared towards new lifters for the most part.

Do you have a link to the source? I am interested to read the context of this.
    I think I read about it in Never Let Go (maybe?) and I've seen it in a few of his articles on T-Nation and such. Again, he doesn't lay out specific workout plans, just his training philosophies in general.

Anyways, I'm not telling anyone not to do SS and yes I've read Rip's books. I'm just a big fan of the simplicity of Dan's teachings - it's basically get under the bar and lift heavy weights and don't worry about the minutiae - and I was curious if anyone had used his stuff with good effect.

Not sure why I decided to post this question on this forum though

EDIT:The first example article I found where he mentions it on T-Nation
    Last edited by Moustache; 09-23-2011 at 03:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I think either way could work.

This method is probably more for size/bodybuilder style training. Since if you constantly take small jumps you just keep working 5s...you don't get the same hypertrophy effects as working up the reps. So I could see that....

But I think it is more awesome mentally to keep taking small jumps every day, rather than do the same weight every day for who knows how long until you can move up in weight.

Plus as far as aesthetics go--bodybuilders have a different look than just solid strong diesel motherfuckers. I prefer the latter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast