starting strength gym

Thread: pressing in weight lifting shoes...

Default pressing in weight lifting shoes...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    anyone else have a problem doing this? im not doing it anymore. i just seem to be able to press waay more with just some flat soled shoes or barefoot,

just curious if im alone and really, why?

Interesting. Do you feel like your weight is shifting forward or something? I don't really see any other way weightlifting shoes could cause a problem. How high is the heel on your weightlifting shoes?

yes that is a huge part of the problem. .75. they are the rogue do wins
    and i just feel like i cant get the drive because of it when im pressing

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    I also wear Rogue Do-Wins and I press and bench press in them. As a matter of fact, I set a PR for my press today while wearing them.

If you don't like it, then don't do it. I deadlift in my socks because I'm not comfortable doing them in heels. Although I do wear them when doing my deloads, and notice a huge difference.

I love pressing in my do-wins, it makes a huge difference for me. If it doesn't work for you, do what does. Maybe post a form check video here first though.

Your thread caught my attention because I just recently switched from lifting in Chucks to a pair of the newer/cheaper Adidas shoes, to help with my squats (which they have). Mine only have a .6" heel rise if I remember correctly. It never occurred to me that they could interfere with pressing, but I have struggled a bit with that lift in my last few workouts, so this is something I'll be paying attention to the next time I press.

I bought the VS shoes (there's another thread on them) for $50 shipped back in March. I use them for pressing, squatting, and cleans.

For pressing, the biggest difference they make is in the push press where I can get more hip drive as opposed to just bending the knees which happened when I wore the Chuck Ts. I recently strict pressed an easy 5 lbs under my PR weight in sneakers w/out a belt so perhaps they have more of a placebo effect there.

FWIW I found they help the most for squatting, but I prefer a high bar position, more akin to an "olympic squat" if that means anything. The absolute biggest difference they made for me was on the atlas stones.

anyone else have a problem doing this? im not doing it anymore. i just seem to be able to press waay more with just some flat soled shoes or barefoot,

just curious if im alone and really, why?
    How many times have you pressed with the shoes?? Some people tend to take longer to get used to other lifts while wearing them!! I don't know why, but it usually has something to do with lift mechanics!!

starting strength coach development program
    I find that if im stalled on the press while using lifting shoes, I just go back to using flat soled ones and I can usually get all 3x5 reps. I cant really explain it. I've used both types of footwear a fair amount so I know it's not a factor of getting used to using new footwear.