starting strength gym

Thread: Pretty Amazing

Red face Pretty Amazing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a Geezosaur, posting for the first time after lurking for quite a while. I just got back from an open house held by our town's Parks and Rec department to inaugurate our new Rec Center.

There were the usual cardio and resistance machines that you see in most gyms. There are also two Hammer Strength brand Squat Racks (one is termed an Olympic Station) with VTX brand bumper plates! I introduced myself to the fitness director, who was solely responsible for determining what equipment to order. We had a nice conversation (he wants to build a barbell oriented program), and I'm going to lend him my copies of of SS and PPST, as well as Rip's DVD.

After reading many posts about badly equipped facilities and no-nothing trainers, I realize how lucky I am to have the opportunity to use this facility. After waiting too long to pull the trigger on the September Seminar (due to my own internal debate about whether to invest in my own equipment or pay for the seminar and travel costs) I will definitely be going to the next seminar in Brooklyn.

Oh, by the way, the Rec Center was built without any tax increase, and it will cost me about $18 per month.

Cheers...........Jake

That really is pretty awesome ... you are lucky. Enjoy!

Besides lucky you, welcome! A real live geezasaur, very cool.

Awesome, Jake. Welcome and thanks for joing the tree fort. Our little Rec Dept handles the gym access at the local high school and it works great. The hours are a bit restricted compared to commercial gyms but you can't beat the price. It's good to have an actual geezasaur posting.

Hi Jake,
    I also plan on going to the next seminar in Brooklyn. I think it is being planned for April. I look forward to meeting you there.
    Best,
    Mike

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. I'll try to contribute a bit in the future, and it's really good to have a section of the forum dedicated to our demographic. I'm sure that I'll learn a lot here. Maybe our testosterone levels are not as high as those of non-geezers, but I doubt that many threads in this section will get highjacked either........and we are probably more likely to need the expertise of a pacemaker technician like DaddyMantz.

All the best.............Jake

Nice work, Jake. Which rec center is this?

I'll probably meet you and Mike in April, since I plan on meeting up with Rip and the WFAC/seminar crew on that Saturday night, at least, to say hello.

Welcome! That's awesome.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can plan a NYC trip for April...

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Nice work, Jake. Which rec center is this?
    It's in Webster, NY, just east of Rochester (an hour from NYC by air). From the town site:"(1350 Chiyoda Drive) The former Xerox Recreation facility is now home to the administrative offices and the recreation center for the Town of Webster. The facility will be renovated in 2011 with an expected Grand Opening in October of 2011. During the construction phase the administrative offices will be housed in a trailer adjacent to the gymnasium. The new recreation center will have a fitness center, gymnasium [two regulation basketball courts], dance/aerobics room, 2 racquetball courts, multipurpose rooms, kitchen, game room, party room, lounge, meeting rooms and house the administrative staff. The property outside consists of 3 lighted softball fields, 2 lighted tennis courts, 1 non-regulation sized basketball court and a 1 mile paved walking track."

Cheers, Jake

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAJake View Post
    It's in Webster, NY
    Ah, crap. I thought you were a local who managed to convince one of the rec centers in NYC to get bumpers. Still, Webster is lucky.