starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check :)

Default Deadlift Form Check :)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello everyone.
    Im Fernando from Brazil.
    Ive been trying to improve my form at deadlifts.

What do you guys thinks about the hips? I think im shooting them up too quickly, probably need to engage my legs more?

I also would like an opinion on my back, to me, it looks ok, but Im not good at this :/

I thank everyone for the support.
    This forum has been helping me a lot.

Gratitude!

Need a better camera angle, can't tell where the bar is in relation to the midfoot because the plate is in the way and you're moving the bar with your shins often. Looks a little to far forward of midfoot. You're not extending your back and lifting the chest hard enough. There's a lot of movement in your setup. Squeeze the bar off the floor don't jerk at it.

The bar is definitely starting too far away. Your hips are shooting up because they are starting too low because the bar is too far away. Before you reach down for it, make sure your shins are just an inch away from the bar. Do not roll it around. Bend your knees just until your shins touch the bar. Wherever your hips are when your shins touch is where they need to stay.

Also, move your feet about 2" closer together and take another moment to squeeze your chest out before you start the pull.

Thank you both very much for your answers.
    Ive tried to start with the bar closer.

same angle

2nd angle

I can still see Im shooting my hips a lot earlier.
    What do you guys think can be done to improve it?

I thank everyone for the support.

Peace.

More attention to step #4:

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

starting strength coach development program
    The bar should rub your shins as you lift. Don't let it float forward. Just before you lift lean back just a hair to make sure that you are not lifting from your toes and that the bar is exactly centered over the mid foot. The weight is a bit low for you but that may be that you are working on technique and not on heaviest weight.