starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with deadlift

Default help with deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Greetings,

I just did a big reset on my deadlift because I had some form problems. I was pulling around bent knees and also not getting good back extension. My starting position is pretty uncomfortable (I know it's supposed to be) and I had a tendency to open my hip angle ASAP to get some relief. I'm now focusing on extending my knees more before the barbell gets to them and also keeping my back in extension. As you can see from the video, my back is pretty horizontal in the starting position. Any critique would be helpful now as I add weight while hopefully pulling correctly.

Thanks,

Aron

Deadlift 245x5 - 08/25/2016 - YouTube

As they say here, you could always get more "squozed" at the start. That being said these look pretty good albeit at a weight that is pretty easy for you. As the weight gets heavier you're going to need to keep the bar closer to your body as you get past your knees. Think dragging up the shins and quads. A good guide would be the bar pulling you shorts up as you finish the pull.

You're bumping into your knees a bit on the descent, which could hurt at higher weights. Think bend at the waist first and don't really bend your knees until the bar is past them.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    As they say here, you could always get more "squozed" at the start. That being said these look pretty good albeit at a weight that is pretty easy for you. As the weight gets heavier you're going to need to keep the bar closer to your body as you get past your knees. Think dragging up the shins and quads. A good guide would be the bar pulling you shorts up as you finish the pull.
    The bar does get away from me a bit as it pass the knees. I'm not sure the cue to drag up the shins/quads is going to solve the problem. The bar is going to go where it wants to, especially when it's heavy. So how can I get that to be closer/touching as it passes the knees? Do I need to adjust my starting position? The bar already seems quite close there as well as being over mid-foot. Should I be staying over the bar for longer and pushing my knees back? Thanks

You skipped a key point in the second step of the setup protocol. Bend over from the waist with straight legs. If you can't do that, once you take your grip on the bar, straighten your legs then bring your shins to the bar. That will help you get your back locked into rigid extension.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    You skipped a key point in the second step of the setup protocol. Bend over from the waist with straight legs. If you can't do that, once you take your grip on the bar, straighten your legs then bring your shins to the bar. That will help you get your back locked into rigid extension.

How am I supposed to straighten my legs while gripping the bar if I can't grip the bar with straight legs? It seems like this second step is designed to keep the lifter from moving the bar accidentally. Are my hips out of position in the setup? I loathe to think that my hips should be higher, as this will put my back at an even more horizontal angle. Do I need to push my butt out more? I'm really trying hard to get into extension but I see that it's not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    How am I supposed to straighten my legs while gripping the bar if I can't grip the bar with straight legs? It seems like this second step is designed to keep the lifter from moving the bar accidentally. Are my hips out of position in the setup? I loathe to think that my hips should be higher, as this will put my back at an even more horizontal angle. Do I need to push my butt out more? I'm really trying hard to get into extension but I see that it's not perfect.
    Just do it. Bend over from the waist straight legs to grab the bar. Bring your shins to the bar from straight legs.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Just do it. Bend over from the waist straight legs to grab the bar. Bring your shins to the bar from straight legs.

I think you missed my point in the last response. I can't grip the bar with straight legs. I understand that it's perhaps not ideal, what I'm doing to get into position, but it's what I have to do. I'm trying to do the best deadlift I can with the shitty hand I was dealt. Slightly bending the knees to grip the bar will have no deleterious effects by my estimate as the knees are going to do just that as soon as the grip is made anyway (so long as the bar doesn't get pushed forward).

I think you missed my point in the last response. I can't grip the bar with straight legs. I understand that it's perhaps not ideal, what I'm doing to get into position, but it's what I have to do. I'm trying to do the best deadlift I can with the shitty hand I was dealt. Slightly bending the knees to grip the bar will have no deleterious effects by my estimate as the knees are going to do just that as soon as the grip is made anyway (so long as the bar doesn't get pushed forward).
    Can you grab the bar and then straighten your legs? Just for shits and giggles, try next session and video it. If I'm wrong, no harm no foul and I'll buy you a Coke.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not sure the cue to drag up the shins/quads is going to solve the problem. The bar is going to go where it wants to, especially when it's heavy. So how can I get that to be closer/touching as it passes the knees? Do I need to adjust my starting position? s
    No, I think your starting position is good enough. The bar is going to travel in a straight line at heavier weights. If you can't keep it over mid-foot throughout the lift it will get very difficult due to excess moment arm creation. A different cue would be to get your hips moving forward as soon as the bar passes the knee. Move the hips appropriately and you'll remain in contact through the last section of the pull to lockout. Your finishing the pull with little assistance from your hips right now. You won't be able to do that with heavy weight.
    Last edited by Jeff Brophy; 08-26-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast