starting strength gym

Thread: Update Vid, Shoeless Hip Flex Pain Guy, Squat

Default Update Vid, Shoeless Hip Flex Pain Guy, Squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Okay, so, shoes still haven't come in yet; guess even UPS gets a fucking day off for Labor Day.

Better camera angle though. Also, worked with a tad bit narrow stance and (as a result) feet more around 30 degrees than the 40ish I was working with previously. (Could I go in more?) Felt pretty good going in today, hip flexor wise. I notice that the pain is less during the squat with the narrower stance. Also, focused on keeping the bar right under the spine of the scapulae and no further down than that.

Can you guys pay close attention, maybe even slow the video down to catch it, to my right (and partly left, but mainly right) ankle? It seems to fold inward and even lift slightly off the ground for a split second. For the past few years now, I've noticed a significant strength and size difference between my L and R leg (the latter being the smaller, whimpier leg; about an inch difference in size), just for what it's worth.

A few unfortunate "good morning squats" in there; explains the minor back ache I have at the moment.

Not as much knee cave, probably due to narrower stance.

Any new input w/ the better camera angle would be appreciated.

Thanks, fellow meatheads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4wwGgH8rM
    Last edited by Dlk93; 09-07-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Don't go that deep, hip crease just lower than the to of the knee. You relax stuff to go even deeper. Stay tight!

I saw no good morning squats. Just squats that were way too deep. I also see a guy who is very concerned about muscle symmetry and spends way too much time measuring his body parts.

Stay tight. Shove your knees out. Control your descent. Hip drahve for glory.

Also, please review your video recording technique. Your skills in the department are somewhat lacking.
    Last edited by Joe Jaloszynski; 09-08-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Well I'm doing the best I can with recording. There's literally nothing to prop my phone on around me. So unless I bring a tripod into the gym this is the best height I can get with my phone. So it's not "skills", it's lack of equipment.

Were my knees really not shoved out enough?

And did nobody pay attention to the ankle fold phenomenon I was referring to? Or was it just so trivial no one felt like responding..?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Well I'm doing the best I can with recording. There's literally nothing to prop my phone on around me. So unless I bring a tripod into the gym this is the best height I can get with my phone. So it's not "skills", it's lack of equipment.

Were my knees really not shoved out enough?

And did nobody pay attention to the ankle fold phenomenon I was referring to? Or was it just so trivial no one felt like responding..?
    There's a bench next to the rack. MacGyver something up to prop your phone in a useful place. You're going too deep, which is causing your ankle to flop around because your deepness is pulling the ankle your your ass. Don't go so deep. Reps 1,2,4,5 your ankle moved, they were also the deepest reps. Rep 3 your ankle was locked in place and the rep was a good depth. The shoved out knees will help keep everything tight so you can control your descent and use the strength shortening cycle at the bottom. I have a feeling the shoes will help as well.