starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The end game

Default The end game

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark,

Firstly, thank you for the amazing work you have done through publishing Starting Strength. It has truly change the direction and quality of my life adhering to this program. I can't express enough my appreciation in that regard.

As a 38 year old male moving into the best conditioning of my life (a sad statement about my youth to be sure), I am beginning to become curious about the next stage in life where time and entropy inevitably pulls us all.

Anticipating I will be in my early or mid forties when I reach the peak of my lifting ability from a sheer physiological perspective, how does one manage the remaining forty years or so from a training perspective?

Do we maintain the load and continue to fight for an additional pound a month (or quarter or year) and acknowledge it will be an event of injury or life that will pull us from training intermittently, causing us to lose a few pounds of lifting strength that we will likely not recover before the next round of life-out-of-training occurs?

In essence, could you layout your programming thoughts for the end game?

Thank you again!
    Cody

You are rather young to be worried about the end game. About the only things for sure are "death and the judgment." Assuming however that you want some reassurance that continued training will be beneficial and enjoyable I offer my example. I started lifting at age 66. I find it one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. I wonder sometimes what I would have accomplished if I had started at age 18 or so but I don't think much about it. SS did not exist 50 years ago so my question is irrelevant.

I train twice per week. I began with these figures or thereabout shortly after I reached 66. DL: 75; Press: 45; Bench: 55; I found squat to be impossible. Today: DL 315; Squat: 215; Press: 105; Bench: 150. The only lift I've gained on in the past year is the Squat. Still, I can do many things today I could not do just over 2 years ago. My "quality of life" to the degree that it is able to be analyzed, is very good. Instead of loosing a percentage of strength each year I'm actually gaining.

Some day there really will be an end game to the physical aspect of my life. But I find that lifting makes my approach to that all the better. I'd rather die in less than a minute than die for 30 years.
    Last edited by carson; 06-17-2015 at 07:29 AM.

For various reasons I have been on maintenance programming for the past year. Once a week lifting in general and if I miss a couple of weeks due to travel or illness I've done a brief string of LP at 2x a week to get back up to statis. I do plan to hit it hard again in the fall and bump up to a new level. BTW I'm 64.

What carson said.

You are barely halfway through Act II of your life, if that.

You have a good long time to get stronger and better. What's more, you can compete in powerlifting well into your dotage.

You don't mention your weight, height, current lifts or training history, so it is virtually impossible to comment on the future. That said, the goal seems to be keep adding weight to the bar until you can't. Then maintain said weight on the bar for as long as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    About the only things for sure are "death and the judgment."
    Carson, there is always the tax man.

OP, my training is similar to Gene61, but I am a much younger 63 y.o. geezer. I am on a hiatus, working long hours now but when it slows down, I will do LP (geezer mode of 2x per week) until I get up to my previous numbers. Carson's message is on point, but there is more. The Starting Strength life style includes an awareness of your capabilities and what is truly good for you. Doc Sullivan's barbell medicine is something you know to be true because it works for you. Jordan's nutrition forum also help you learn want is beneficial. The knowledge and support you get from most of the members, and especially the SS coaches, on these various forums, is unmatched by any other website I know.

The result is you will age, but you won't grow old. You might even develop that "bring it on" attitude that Hurling has. Good luck in your journey.

Double post
    Last edited by pkelly54; 06-17-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are rather young to be worried about the end game. About the only things for sure are "death and the judgment." Assuming however that you want some reassurance that continued training will be beneficial and enjoyable I offer my example. I started lifting at age 66. I find it one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. I wonder sometimes what I would have accomplished if I had started at age 18 or so but I don't think much about it. SS did not exist 50 years ago so my question is irrelevant.

I train twice per week. I began with these figures or thereabout shortly after I reached 66. DL: 75; Press: 45; Bench: 55; I found squat to be impossible. Today: DL 315; Squat: 215; Press: 105; Bench: 150. The only lift I've gained on in the past year is the Squat. Still, I can do many things today I could not do just over 2 years ago. My "quality of life" to the degree that it is able to be analyzed, is very good. Instead of loosing a percentage of strength each year I'm actually gaining.

Some day there really will be an end game to the physical aspect of my life. But I find that lifting makes my approach to that all the better. I'd rather die in less than a minute than die for 30 years.
    Carson,

Thank you for sharing. I turned 66 on June 5th and began SS about six weeks ago. Your story shows me I have a long way to go and inspires me to do so.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jlauerman View Post
    Carson,

Thank you for sharing. I turned 66 on June 5th and began SS about six weeks ago. Your story shows me I have a long way to go and inspires me to do so.

Jim
    I'm happy to know this. Keep up the good work. Have you started a log online?

CDL

starting strength coach development program
    Carson,

Not yet. I've frankly been a little intimidated at the thought of doing so. My progress has been a little git and miss due to a few "random a ts of variety".

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast