starting strength gym

Thread: How to peak on the deadlift?

Default How to peak on the deadlift?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone, I am going to enter a meet in 2 weeks.
    I was injured 5 weeks ago and couldn't bench 100 lbs, did a 4 weeks rehab with 0 benches, and 2 days ago I benched 225 for five, 250 for 2 triples and 257.5 for 2, overall I assume I lost around 25-30 lbs on the bar.

Today was supposed to be my last heavy workout, I tried to go for broke on the deadlift with a new RM5.
    Did 210KG, 1 rep(this is right in the middle before the first and my second attempts) then managed 200KG for 4 reps barely(already had 5 a while ago).

I don't know why but I can't predict when the deadlifts would peak and when not, I was sure I am 100% today, but when I did a 140KG warm up I knew: it was an off day for the DL.
    My only chance to take the first place is PRing the DL, I managed 220/223 KG, I assume i'd need 5-10 KG more since my bench is extremely weak atm

I am always predicting my performance on the SQ and BP, but deadlifts change like mood swings on a bi polar patient.
    I was planning to do a light 3X3 workout with 50-60% 4 days before the competition with only squats, benches and some chins, should I prepare differently?

i usually pull my planned opener for 3 singles (with commands and someone watching / camera to make sure I am not hitching or not locking my knees whatever) 10 days out and dont deadlift again until the meet.

I was planning not to DL anymore after today(but rack pull 90% 10 days before) which is 13 days before the meet, should I re-schedule in your opinion?
    Never tried a deadlift with someone commanding, but I am planning to go light, do a single with my 5RM

Also, do you suggest to go for a PR on the second attempt or on the third?

Pr on your third.

your opener should be something you can triple with ease.

Id take that 200kg and open with that you hit it for 4 you can most def hit for 1 solid single.

then make a modest jump halfway between that opener and your PR and depending on how THAT went I'd either get what can be got if it went bad OR go for your PR.

i wouldnt deadlift even remotely heavy past 10 days out, I think its REALLY key to be super recovered going into a meet. Hit your squat and bench openers that monday before the meet and then wednesday go in and work up to your LAST warm ups for squat and bench. then leave.

in GENERAL your openers should be something you can triple, or double on a real bad day. The openers job is to get you in the meet. and not bomb out. so it needs to be easy but also heavy enough to set you up where that 2nd attempt doesnt feel like a million lbs.

Understood, I was even going to go lighter on the openers, use what I can do for a set of 5, but i'll go a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by David_G View Post
    Understood, I was even going to go lighter on the openers, use what I can do for a set of 5, but i'll go a bit higher.
    DON"T Open Higher

Open with can do for a set of 5.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, nobody wins with their opener, but some people sure as hell lose with their opener, so be sure to make it.