starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: undulating periodization

Default undulating periodization

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The only decent source I have seen about undulating periodization is Dan Austins' powerlifting ebook and a book about nonlinear periodization called "Optimizing Strength Training. Does anybody have any info on undulating(websites,ebooks,etc)? Mostly I just want to know what a program would actually look like using it. Also, I am just looking at the different forms of periodization for research purposes.

+1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Prepare Yourself
    Prepare yourself to see a ridiculously long post formatted like this
    I apprecite you promoting me. The color looks good.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    The only decent source I have seen about undulating periodization is Dan Austins' powerlifting ebook and a book about nonlinear periodization called "Optimizing Strength Training. Does anybody have any info on undulating(websites,ebooks,etc)? Mostly I just want to know what a program would actually look like using it. Also, I am just looking at the different forms of periodization for research purposes.

Undulating is just a form of non-linear periodization. You can buy all sorts of books talking about it but not actually describing a useful program. Westside is a form on undulating periodization. Using different RPE scales on different days is a form of undulating periodization. Daily undulating periodization is kind of the same, with one exception being the movements typically stay the same (for the most part) but the volume and intensity changes during each week or microcycle.

Default Unudulating/Non-Linear Periodization

Optimizing Strength

This is a good book by Drs Fleck and Kraemer. If you don't have it, you should pick it up.

Nonlinear Periodization for Size and Strength
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_and_strength

This is a good article on Undulating/Non-Linear Periodization. I am not familiar with Autsin's book. I am sure Austin provides good information, as well.

Various Undulating/Non-Linear Training Cycles

The gamut of a Undulating/Non-Periodization can be as short as on training session (Daily Undulating Periodization) to longer three week cycles.

"The General Adaptation Syndrome"

Periodization Training is based on "The General Adaptation Syndrome, GAS." It has been dumbbed down to "Muscle Confusion".

Simply put, at some point in an individuals training cycle, their body adapts to a training program and they stop making progress.

Training Age

One of the determinate factors in how often to change an individuals program it their Training Age. Training Age meaning how many years they have been training.

Novice lifters can follow a training program longer because body takes longer to adapt.

Elite lifters need to change their program more often because their body adapts faster.

Common Sense Approach

When a training program stops working, you need to change something.

Research

One of the first to touch on Undulating/Non-Linear Periodizaton was Charles Poliquin's "Five Steps to Increasing Your Strength Training Program" in the 1988 National Strength and Condition Research Journal.

I can email you that research along with some other reseach that I have, if you are intersted.

Personal Experience

As someone who's used his method for over tweny years for powerlifting, I can tell you it is an effective method.

My Non-Linear Periodization Cycles for staple movements is three weeks.

For auxiliary exercises, I often change it up every workout.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Crox; 03-28-2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Revision

Yeah. The Texas Method and 5-3-1 are decent examples of non-linear periodization.

I can email you that research along with some other reseach that I have, if you are intersted.

Yes, would love to read it.

Yes, would love to read it.
    Eric,

Check your private message.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Yeah. The Texas Method and 5-3-1 are decent examples of non-linear periodization.
    Nice example.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    All progressions are linear if viewed from a high enough perspective over a long enough period. What makes it non-linear are the undulations that exists within each training cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast