starting strength gym

Thread: Intensity cycling with the split routine

Default Intensity cycling with the split routine

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok, so the Texas Method has 3 workout types over the course of a week - a high volume moderate intensity "stress workout", a low volume low intensity "recovery workout", and a low volume high intensity "intensity workout".

The Split Routine method only works each exercise group twice per week. Is the recommended cycle to skip one of the above workout types, and if so which one? Or is it to still do all 3, but spread out over the course of 1.5 weeks instead of 1 week?

Thanks in advance.

The split routine uses only 2 workouts/week/major movement. It's all in the book.

Mark - I have the book right in front of me, and just re-read pgs 189-191. I don't see anything there akin to the volume/recovery/intensity cycle of the Texas Method or the heavy/medium/light of the Starr model.

So let's say I follow the second split routine you suggest:

Monday: Bench press and related exercises
    Tuesday: Squatting and deadlifting exercises
    Thursday: Bench press and related exercises
    Saturday: Squatting and deadlifting exercises

For example, is every bench press day an all out 5X5ish workout, is one day a heavy workout and one a light workout, is one a volume and one a stress, or something else?

Thanks.

It can be done either way. For example, "bench day 1" could be heavy bench/light pressing assistance and "bench day 2" could be heavy pressing/light bench assistance. Or for a PLer it could be heavy bench both days with different benching exercises and different assistance exercises. Or it could be heavy volume one day and heavy intensity the next day.

Rich S -

I am running a program right now using a split routine similar to what Mark laid out in PP using the Heavy / Light breakdown. Keep in mind I am training for powerlifting specifically, so my training might be different than somebody training for general strength. Looks like this:

Day 1 - Heavy Bench Press + Assistance exercises

Day 2 - Light Squat + Heavy Deadlift + Assistance
    (Squats are Dynamic Box Squats done for 12 x 2 @ 50-60%; Deads are either convential or rack pulls for 1-5 reps)

Day 3 - Light Bench + Heavy Press + Assistance
    (Benches are speed benches done for 10 x 3 @40-50% and presses are generally 5 x 5)

Day 4 - Heavy Squat + Light Deadlift + Assistance
    (Squats are usually working up to a max set of 5, 3, or 1; Light deadlifts is kind of a misnomber as this exercise is usually powercleans or goodmornings)

Loading-deloading on something like this is kind of a complex subject and depends very much on the volume of your core exercises and the amount of assistance exercises you are doing. I have far from mastered it myself so I am hesitant to comment on it here.

starting strength coach development program
    Rich S,

I'm not sure if you or anyone would find this helpful but I am running a split routine as well with different structure than KSC. I suggest checking out his training log because he knows his shit and is a valuable source to this board as well.

But this structure has been working for me so far, and my strength has continued to increase, although I need to get consistent with my
    assistance work.

Day 1- 5X5 Bench or Press/Light Assistance Press or Bench
    Day 2- 5X5 Back Squat or 3X8 Front Squat and 1X5 Deadlifts/Other Assistance
    Day 3- (Speed Sets and Reps like PPST) Bench or Press/Other Assistance
    Day 4- (Speed Sets and Reps like PPST) Box Squat and Pulls[Power Cleans, Snatches, etc]/Other Assistance

My "Other Assistance" exercises are randomized on the day's focus for me:

Chin-Ups
    Dumbell Bench/Presses
    Push Presses/Jerks
    Rack Pulls
    RDL's
    Good Mornings
    Weighted Sit-Ups
    Short Intense Crossfit workouts
    Sprints