starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was attacked.

Default I was attacked.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    By 4 or 5 personal trainers at a new gym I recently joined.

I could tell from my peripherals that I was being eye-raped by these fellas as soon as I started my squat warm up.

I load up the plates and then... they rush me. Confused, I ask what's wrong?

The brightest crayon in the box asks me, "are you sure you want to do that?" Do what, I politely ask.

"Put all that weight on your lower back? We all noticed your back is way too slanted" *insert agreeing nods from other crayons*.

I bite and ask how it's supposed to be done. He proceeds to use a cheerful metaphor. He tells me to "imagine an elevator..."

I'm thinking, this guy must have snorted his pre-workout.. He goes on to tell me.."an elevator goes straight up and down. That's how your squats should be. Crayon number two adds, "your heels need to bear the weight."

Bless their hearts.

My question. How do I get them to leave me the fuck alone? Should I change gyms?

Try this: "Leave me the fuck alone."

This perfectly describes the assault I receive every time I lift in a bro-gym.

I'm just a tiny woman...I know nothing about weights and other manly things. They are always so quick to assist me with their manly knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post

I'm just a tiny woman...I know nothing about weights and other manly things. They are always so quick to assist me with their manly knowledge.

Sucks to hear you say so. The gym at which I train has boys and men giving unsollicited advice to exclusively girls and women and never other boys and men. I like being part of the solution, so may I suggest rendering yourself completely unattractive and unappealing? It seems to be the only way to pesky self-proclaimed trainers. After all, if you're not seducing the men with your succubus ways, they won't feel compelled to hop on over to you to lose their soul.

No, but in all seriousness that sounds like a needlessly uncomfortable way to train.

Have fun with it, ask them to show you. When they can't, won't or if they try, but can't get depth, they'll leave you alone.

I've finally convinced a friend (tiny woman as well) to start lifting, and she'll see a coach regularly. Problem: she'll have to lift in a commercial gym at least twice a week as the coach and his gym are far away from her.

And of course, she feels intimidated to lift and be in that environment.

Other than telling her to tell others to politely leave her alone (fuck off), is there anything else that I can relay to her?

Don't sell yourself short; the lifter with the absolute best form at my former globo-gym was a woman. She was also the only other regular besides me who knew what a clean was and could do them.

cutlet# Guest

Put earbuds in. Don't ever take earbuds out. Listen to Doggystyle. Do squats.

Load the bar to whatever your best weight for 5 is. Tell the personal trainer to demonstrate with that weight.

Most "personal trainers" have issues with 225.

If you really want to be an asshole (which is always fun), ask what he knows about 5x5 training (and if he gives you the Medhi answer, he's an idiot), John McCallum, Reg Park, John Grimek, rack work, singles, triples, and power cleans (which you should ask him to demonstrate).

I've met one guy who knew anything about any of those guys. He and I rapidly became friends.

starting strength coach development program
    Tell people you are on the NFB Program, and will consider their changes after you "run it out."

When they ask what NFB stands for, say None of you Fucking Business

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast