starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Update

Default Squat Update

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Can you look at this video of 215 and see how my squat is coming along as I've progressed in weight. I've also tried eating more as to not look like a "tall bird-like person", that you said I was in this thread ha.. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=20598

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0yRlHjNrIg

Rep 4 was a pube high, but the set looks pretty good for a tall bird-like person. Is that really your belt?

Bird-like...I'm slowly moving up in weight.

No, it's not my belt. It's one from the gym and the best one to choose from till I order a belt for myself.

I think a 1RM will mean very little at this point.

How's your linear progression coming along? When you get numbers up a little higher, try maybe working w/ 60% of that 1RM for speed squats.

Maximum of two reps per set, and minimum of 3x2. Work on your form and when your ready, maybe give it a try. In the larger scheme of things, 215 is light weight. Moving light weight slowly is said to be a BIG NO NO! I think it has to do with type II muscle fiber recruitment, power production, and driving out of the hole. Good luck!

PS I'm not taking into account alot of other factors, so take w/ a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Liao View Post
    I think a 1RM will mean very little at this point.

How's your linear progression coming along? When you get numbers up a little higher, try maybe working w/ 60% of that 1RM for speed squats.

Maximum of two reps per set, and minimum of 3x2. Work on your form and when your ready, maybe give it a try. In the larger scheme of things, 215 is light weight. Moving light weight slowly is said to be a BIG NO NO! I think it has to do with type II muscle fiber recruitment, power production, and driving out of the hole. Good luck!

PS I'm not taking into account alot of other factors, so take w/ a grain of salt.

V/R I don't think I understand that point of your post in regards to testing my 1RM. I was just trying to get a gauge on my form as I have progressed in weight. My LP has been going on for a little over a month now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by milktruckcopilot View Post
    V/R I don't think I understand that point of your post in regards to testing my 1RM. I was just trying to get a gauge on my form as I have progressed in weight. My LP has been going on for a little over a month now.
    If you're still progressing along a novice/linear progression, then everyday is your max. I.e. You're still pushing your horizons. 215# may feel heavy, but I think you know that you've yet to exhaust the steadily climbing numbers at this level of your training.

Test you 1RM after you've been on an intermediate progression for a short while. Throw a few b/o speed sets at the end of your work-sets to place more emphasis on power production. Maybe 60%x3x2.

My form was like yours at 225#, then changed a little at 275#, and I think I've got it pretty honed at 315#. E.g. Tighter extension of the thoracic and lumbar sections, tighter "groove."

Good luck!