starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 training sessions per day

Default 2 training sessions per day

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip,

Last week while doing the TM I had to split my volume work out into 2 sessions due to work constraints. I squatted 390lbs 5x5, then pressed 155lbs 5x5, worked for 4 hours and completed my workout with a 425lbsx5 halting deadlift. I was relieved by how energetic I was going into the second session of the day for the deadlift and felt much more fresh then usual doing it right after the squats. I don't plan on competing for another year or so and just work away at the TM for the next 12 months. So my question is whether or not there is any other disadvantages other than not being conditioned to compete by splitting my workout into two sessions..squats and presses between 1pm-3pm and deadlift variation around 7pm-8pm.

Rowan

If you have no other pressing demands on your time, two-a-days are fine.

So my question is whether or not there is any other disadvantages other than not being conditioned to compete by splitting my workout into two sessions..squats and presses between 1pm-3pm and deadlift variation around 7pm-8pm.
    You might need a whole separate warmup for your second session. Since you don't have any constraints on your time it should be fine. Just remember to do it. Even if you're in a hurry.

Surely he knows this.

A related question that probably doesn't deserve a whole new thread.
    Would it be possible to put the squat and bench/OHP volume sessions in TM on two different days? I'm thinking on the lines of monday-volume, wednesday-light, friday-intensity for squats, and wednesday-volume, friday-light, monday-intensity for bench/OHP, putting the deadlift god knows where. The purpose of this would be to keep the training sessions more or less the same duration for convenience to those who don't really have a lot of time during their day, not something to optimize performance. Or would it be better to just do the split routine from PP2nd ed. ?
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I don't have the slightest idea of what keywords I could use to search the forum for such a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Surely he knows this.
    The stupidity of the general population (myself included) never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Would it be possible to put the squat and bench/OHP volume sessions in TM on two different days? I'm thinking on the lines of monday-volume, wednesday-light, friday-intensity for squats, and wednesday-volume, friday-light, monday-intensity for bench/OHP, putting the deadlift god knows where. The purpose of this would be to keep the training sessions more or less the same duration for convenience to those who don't really have a lot of time during their day, not something to optimize performance. Or would it be better to just do the split routine from PP2nd ed. ?
    Anything that alters the work/rest relationship within the week would be unproductive, like you not knowing where to put the deadlifts. Just do the split routine.

I'm not doing the TP

But how about doing squat/bench or press volume on monday, deadlift/rack pull/halting on tuesday, light squat/ bench or press on thursday and finally intensity day on saturday?

It's just fine with me. But do you think Monday's volume workout will forgive you?

starting strength coach development program
    I know I can do little the day after volume squats. I like doing arms, abs and lower back on tuesday since they are generally light if I do anything at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast