starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Question Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey everyone, trying to improve my low bar back squat after years of doing upright high bar style.

Would appreciate any feedback or tips, thanks!

Here is my last set at 210 lbs: low bar squat - YouTube

Nothing terrible, looks like a heavy set of 5.

Look where are you looking, straight down right? That's incorrect, and it makes my next hurt watching it! Pick a point 4-5 feet on the floor in front of you to start at. Now, you are squatting in front of a wall, so extrapolate what I just said to a point on the wall. Also, think about presenting and holding a "proud chest" throughout the lift. This will keep your thoracic spine extended and the upper back musculature tight throughout the lift.

Question Updated lift

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Nothing terrible, looks like a heavy set of 5.

Look where are you looking, straight down right? That's incorrect, and it makes my next hurt watching it! Pick a point 4-5 feet on the floor in front of you to start at. Now, you are squatting in front of a wall, so extrapolate what I just said to a point on the wall. Also, think about presenting and holding a "proud chest" throughout the lift. This will keep your thoracic spine extended and the upper back musculature tight throughout the lift.
    Thanks, I tried to apply your suggestions, please let me know if I'm on the right track: Low Bar Back Squat 2.0 - YouTube

marcf Guest

Think midfoot. In your second video, shot directly from the side, You can see the bar drift forward over your toes as you descend. On your fourth rep, you're on your toes as your heel comes up off the ground and you can see how much more work you had to do to get the bar up.

Quote Originally Posted by forumsquatter View Post
    Thanks, I tried to apply your suggestions, please let me know if I'm on the right track: Low Bar Back Squat 2.0 - YouTube
    Bend over at the hips more on the descent, drive the hip UP on the ascent (your torso is too vertical). This should take care of the balance issue while actually generating hip drive. If not, think "midfoot" and feel the weight through the middle of your foot, vice the heels or toes. If balance is STILL an issue, think "heals" and drive through your heals. This is an over-correction to bring you back to midfoot, and should be used as such. You should not actually squat on your heals.

Thanks all for the pointers. I've attempted to bend over more, still in that position it looks like at the bottom i'm losing the lumbar curve, which is easier for me to maintain with a more upright high bar squat. Not quite sure how to mitigate. Any ideas? squat_12_25_2016 - YouTube

These are good squats! Very little lumbar flexion in the bottom, if any. I wouldn't worry about it. If your form creeps and you see more lumbar flexion occurring, focus on taking a bigger breath and bracing your abs HARD, and hold it throughout the rep.

You start off looking straight down at first, and self correct as the set goes on. Pick a point 4-5 feet on the floor to your front to stare at. Other than that, good work.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 12-26-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks alot Adam! Do you ever train down here in San Diego?

starting strength coach development program
    No, unfortunately I don't get down to San Diego too often. I train on Camp Pendleton and in my garage.