starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valeo belts

Default Valeo belts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Anyone tried valeo belts, in particular the 6inch one?

I already have a cheap velcro belt which I like better than leather belts, but I think ive outgrown it so was thinking of upgrading. Wanted something subtantial and very secure. Am intrigued by the 6inch one in particular. Has anyone used these?

What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I already have a cheap velcro belt which I like better than leather belts,
    Why is velcro better than leather?

they look alright

I have a belt similar to that I bought in high school (15 years ago). I refused to throw it away all these years. They work perfectly fine. I refuse to buy a better belt until it breaks.

This is what I use. I have the usual recommended belts but I ways go back to this one. They work perfectly fine and only run about $19.00. I have a bunch in my gym for the kids that don't have a belt of their own.

I had the smaller (4") Valeo belt and was unimpressed. After a few workouts, the skimpy velcro attachment would begin to give way while I was in mid set. I got a 4" leather belt for squats and presses and I love it. I use a cheaper Velcro belt that I got from Sports Authority for deadlifts. It does not come undone.

I've used the Valeo belt before, I'm not sure why you think 6 inches is the right size for you when the leather belts run at 4 inches. The valeo is very comfortable, but I don't trust the velcro, I've had it pop open mid-squat before. That could easily be a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I've used the Valeo belt before, I'm not sure why you think 6 inches is the right size for you when the leather belts run at 4 inches. The valeo is very comfortable, but I don't trust the velcro, I've had it pop open mid-squat before. That could easily be a wreck.
    I have no means to try one out so I dont know for sure, but I get the impression the 6inch might not dig in because the webbing part looks the same size and the main belt part (neoprene) looks flexible and stretchy. The 4" could be the right choice, I dont know! I think I miht go ask on Pendlays forum and they sell them on their site.

The edges are very soft, so they won't dig in like a leather belt will that hasn't been broken in yet. That's what I meant by saying they are very comfortable. You aren't unusually tall or skinny right? If you're on the rounder side, then I don't think you'll have to worry about problems with it digging in.

starting strength coach development program
    This may be another option that's a little thicker and beefier. I have one, it's a nice belt.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=2840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast