starting strength gym

Thread: Bodyweight exercises for traveling

Default Bodyweight exercises for traveling

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered here and there in the forum, but I couldn't find any specific thread that addresses it:

I've been traveling a bit, and am in a country right now where gym access can be pretty limited. I would like some good quality bodyweight exercises that come close to the difficulty of free weights that I could do when I'm not able to make it to the gym. I also though a compendium of good bodyweight exercises might be useful for other people while traveling. Here are some that I've considered:

20 vertical jumps (Rippetoe's squat substitute -anyone tried this?)
    Pistol squats
    Pushups (generally too easy, maybe handstand pushups, though those may be too difficult)
    Dips (though I'm concerned I might break furniture which is not mine)
    Planks
    Lunges (again, unweighted these are pretty easy)

Other suggestions?

I love burpees but they are more of a conditioning exercise. Pull and chin ups are obvious if you can find a bar or ledge that will support your bodyweight. Some people recommend isometric exercises but I'm skeptical.

You can make push ups more difficult with variants such as the one arm or diamond push up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    I would like some good quality bodyweight exercises that come close to the difficulty of free weights
    None come close to lifting as far as the legs are concerned unfortunately. Plenty of things can be done for the upper body but as you have already noted they tend to have a high skill component to them.

As far as dips go I'd not worry too much about breaking furniture unless you're quite heavy. They do tend to be fairly easy if you're reasonably strong though.

Weighted pistol squats would probably be the closest bodyweight alternative to the barbell squat. You could hold something heavy while you do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered here and there in the forum, but I couldn't find any specific thread that addresses it:

I've been traveling a bit, and am in a country right now where gym access can be pretty limited. I would like some good quality bodyweight exercises that come close to the difficulty of free weights that I could do when I'm not able to make it to the gym. I also though a compendium of good bodyweight exercises might be useful for other people while traveling. Here are some that I've considered:

20 vertical jumps (Rippetoe's squat substitute -anyone tried this?)
    Pistol squats
    Pushups (generally too easy, maybe handstand pushups, though those may be too difficult)
    Dips (though I'm concerned I might break furniture which is not mine)
    Planks
    Lunges (again, unweighted these are pretty easy)

Other suggestions?
    Lower body: Pistols, virtical jumps, lunge jumps, Horizontal jumps, bear hug your suitcase and squat
    Upper body: one arm push-ups, feet elevated push ups, Pullups/chinups, Dips with chairs

Get a set or Rings or a TRX and get one of those doorway pull-up bars for next time.

Lift stones.

Run the stairs in your hotel. Push a car.

starting strength coach development program
    Fucking beastskills: http://www.beastskills.com/