starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC replacement for SS?

Default PC replacement for SS?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    School gym forbids it (as well as similar things like power snatch), and i'm in no monetary position to pay for another gym.

So, how can I replace it? I've gone with pullups/chins alternating, but I'm still too weak to manage either of those. I can use one of the machines that gives you some weight under you as help until I build strength to do them with my own bodyweight, but is there something better I can do?

Buy an elastic band to take some slack off the bottom and do regular chins with it. When you are good enough with them, remove band and see if you can do at least a double without the band. If you can, just start doing a bunch of them when you can, you'll be doing sets of 5 fast enough.

One of the things I used to do before I could do any chin-ups at all were slow negatives. Grab the bar, jump up into the "up" position (use a chair if you have to), and lower yourself down as slowly as you can. Do, say, 5 of those per day, and after a couple of weeks you should be strong enough to do a full chin-up.

Chin-ups aren't really a "replacement" for power cleans, but they're a great exercise that I think everyone should incorporate into their routine anyway.

If I do recall I believe Rip stated Pendlay rows as being an acceptable substitute along with chins/pullups. Thats what I'm doing now while I learn the clean form.

I dont think rip wouldnever make such a statement

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    If I do recall I believe Rip stated Pendlay rows as being an acceptable substitute along with chins/pullups. Thats what I'm doing now while I learn the clean form.
    It's on SS but trust me, it will be removed in the next edition. It's one of the parts that caused a good deal of "what was I thinking when I wrote that" on Rip.

High pulls are an okay substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    One of the things I used to do before I could do any chin-ups at all were slow negatives. Grab the bar, jump up into the "up" position (use a chair if you have to), and lower yourself down as slowly as you can. Do, say, 5 of those per day, and after a couple of weeks you should be strong enough to do a full chin-up.

Chin-ups aren't really a "replacement" for power cleans, but they're a great exercise that I think everyone should incorporate into their routine anyway.
    ^This

I feel that negatives are way better than using a band. You may not have access to a band with enough resistance to do the full ROM, or it may have so much that it isn't sufficiently challenging. You also may end up not getting motion out of it that makes sense, which doesn't translate to doing unassisted pullups well. If you can't jump high enough, get something to stand on and walk off of.

"
    If I do recall I believe Rip stated Pendlay rows as being an acceptable substitute along with chins/pullups. Thats what I'm doing now while I learn the clean form."

No NO, fucking NO. The rows are not an acceptable substitution for PC. It doesn't work the same musculature nor are rows balistic.

Sprinting (50 or less), kb or db swings are going to be the closest you can get. Towards the end of SS, plyos would hurt either.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess you could just do jerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "
    If I do recall I believe Rip stated Pendlay rows as being an acceptable substitute along with chins/pullups. Thats what I'm doing now while I learn the clean form."

No NO, fucking NO. The rows are not an acceptable substitution for PC. It doesn't work the same musculature nor are rows balistic.
    I agree, but Rippetoe did literally write that in the book so it's his own fault really. It does work all of the same back musculature though, although each muscle will be worked to a different extent and different ways.
    Last edited by Jefferson; 06-14-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast