starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding in ab work with a 5x5?

Default Adding in ab work with a 5x5?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Heya everyone. 11 weeks into a 5x5 (SL), workout A is squat, BP, row, workout B is Squat, OHP, DL. Thinking about adding 2-3 sets of weighted ab exercises for 6-8 reps on DL days. Anyone see any issue or problem with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Heya everyone. 11 weeks into a 5x5 (SL), workout A is squat, BP, row, workout B is Squat, OHP, DL. Thinking about adding 2-3 sets of weighted ab exercises for 6-8 reps on DL days. Anyone see any issue or problem with this?
    http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf

Ab wheel or hanging leg raises are about the only thing I would bother with.

In addition to the ab wheel and hanging leg raise, at the risk of sounding like a crossfitter, I also like L-pullups. They are brutal, and a recent bout left me more of a wreck than the ab wheel has in some time.

Dragon flies!

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Dragon flies!
    Fuck those things. So humbling.

First of all, I would like to ask the reason for doing abs. As an assistance exercise or for aesthetic purposes? For assistance exercise you should start very low in volume (1 set) and intensity (BW x 10 Situps) and progressively increase every workout. There is no reason to start with a weight. The reason is to protect your progression on Squat and Deadlift. For aesthetic purposes you should drop bodyfat.

Yes my question was asked in regards to providing additional stability for the big lifts. As an older lifter I want to make sure I am doing everything possiy to avoid injury. I already focus diligently on form and contracting abs during my lifts. I might grab an ab wheel to try a few rollouts

You should get plenty of stability work with squats, deadlifts AND overhead presses. And if you do chins instead of rows you will find that your abs get worked, too. Rows just don't seem as useful as chin-ups.

Even if you can't do a single full chin-up yet, do negative chin-ups (starting from the top of the bar) with as many sets as needed to get 15 reps. Then try 8 sets of 2 negative chin-up reps, then 5 sets of 3 reps, then 4 sets of 4 reps, then 3 sets of 5 reps, then try 1 full chin-up, and 14/15 reps of negatives, then do 2 full chin-ups, etc. You get the idea.

In any case, the best way to achieve stability is by adding weight on the bar and trying your very best to maintain good form.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    You should get plenty of stability work with squats, deadlifts AND overhead presses. And if you do chins instead of rows you will find that your abs get worked, too. Rows just don't seem as useful as chin-ups.
    In any case, the best way to achieve stability is by adding weight on the bar and trying your very best to maintain good form.
    Yes. This is the gist of the article I posted. OP might even recognize the author's name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast