starting strength gym

Thread: Block periodization

Default Block periodization

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey there Andy. I'm 45 and have been following a block periodization template for the last 15 months or so. Up until June, one of the SSCs was programming me, but now I'm on my own.

My question is: as a broad strategy, do you think it's better to plan the length of each block (accumulation, transmutation) ahead of time and stick to it, moving on based on the calendar OR leave it a little open ended and run each block for as long as I can progress in that rep range, moving to the next block only once I'm in PR territory for the rep range/am on the verge of missing?

Thanks!

I'd probably go by feel a little bit if you aren't on a competitive schedule. For instance, if you are running an accumulation phase and reach the end of what you planned and everything feels easy, then you might tack on another week or two. That being said, the more experienced you get with the system, the better you will be able to plan out your cycles and predict what is likely to happen in each phase.

If you have been doing this for 15 months you should have a pretty good idea of what your tolerances are, how hard you can load, how long/severe do you deload, when your peaks tend to hit, etc

Cool thanks. It changed up a lot when someone else was writing the programming, but I started getting a feel for the variables you mentioned. Now that I'm doing it myself, I'm trying to make smart changes based on what I've learned so far.

Programming for yourself can be hard.

We all give in to our own tendencies to rationalize doing or not doing the things that we need to do. A good coach basically takes the emotion out of your programming. We keep you from doing stupid shit that distracts you from your goals and make you do the things you really don't want to do.

Amen. And it explains why there's no additional ab work in my program these days. :-)