starting strength gym

Thread: Heart attack or stroke from morning lifting

Default Heart attack or stroke from morning lifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy,

I am asking you this because from what I gather you work with an older clientele.

I am 55 with an recent change in my work schedule that is interfering with my weightlifting. So I started to discuss lifting at 5:00 am just so I could be more consistent and several people mentioned that they had heard that lifting weights increases a persons risk of heart attack or stroke especially at my age

Do you know of any studies or research that proves that?

Do you think it would make a difference do full body or splits that early? I current do full body.

If I had research that PROVED that lifting weights made people have heart attacks and strokes, I would have picked a different profession.

I think you are fine. That being said, if you have a heart attack tomorrow morning, it's not my fault.

The full-body vs split question will be mainly dictated by your schedule, your level of advancement, and what type of time restraints you have on your workouts. I have been starting with clients at 530 am since I opened my gym in 2007. All are over 50, and all are still alive.

I had a heart attack in February (95% blockage in one coronary artery, no idea I had a problem, fit firefighter, triggered by CO buildup from smoke exposure the day before) ended up with one stent. I lift at 06:30 three days a week, run 5k's the other four, and my heart rate monitor consistently reads greater than 0.
    Last edited by Farback; 09-25-2014 at 12:23 PM.

I'm 47 and if I'm not out of bed getting ready for the gym by 4:05 a.m., my wife has a heart attack. Or maybe it's just a shit fit; either way, it's avoided by lifting early.