starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Trouble (Sticking Point)

Default Strength Trouble (Sticking Point)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 21, Male. About 195 lbs. Began training on SS LP one year ago (no powercleans because of school gym). Got to 270 lbs 3x5 squat in May, been stuck since the summer, with adequate food intake. Squat is stuck at about 250 lbs. Also stuck with all the upper body movements (press, bench, even chins): I have yet to break 100 lbs in the press and yet to break 175 lbs in the bench. Deadlift has yet to break 300 lbs. My chins have not gone over 10 per set in a while. Everything is way harder than I feel it needs to be with my training history (not much), age, food intake, etc.

What should I do? Gain more weight? Alter programming? I should have easily squatted 315 lbs and benched over 200 lbs by now for 3x5. What is a young man to do?

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    How tall are you?
    6 ft, 2 in. Pre-emptive answer: yes, I bought a belt. 4 inch "Athlete" belt from Best Belts (10 mm). Fits well and started using it about a week ago when it came in.

Quote Originally Posted by esam915 View Post
    6 ft, 2 in. Pre-emptive answer: yes, I bought a belt. 4 inch "Athlete" belt from Best Belts (10 mm). Fits well and started using it about a week ago when it came in.
    6'2 195 lbs is likely your problem. Your levers just aren't very good. You need to slowly and surely bump your weight up to a minimum of 225 lbs. The 240s or 250s would be even better.