starting strength gym

Thread: Looking for a coach in southern Maine / New Hampshire / Mass north of Boston

Default Looking for a coach in southern Maine / New Hampshire / Mass north of Boston

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark, feel free to move as appropriate. I can't find a coach in the directory. I have a friend, F/48, tall, strong and healthy but very concerned about osteoporosis. She currently lives seaside New Hampshire, but wants to move to "central" Maine (Lewiston / Brunswick / LL Bean territory) within the year. Do you or your readers know a decent coach or gym up that way to get her started lifting safely? Thanks.

We'll ask.

I live in Brunswick. The good news: The gym I use is ok in the sense that I can do what I want and it is friendly-enough to SS-style training, with a good squat cage, ok bars/plates and such, (but no bumper plates). The bad - I do not know of a place or coach that does true SS So, I pretty much train on my own, and advise my sons when they are at home.

There is very little black iron in Maine, particularly in southern Maine. Central Maine is more like Waterville through Old Town. There are plenty of places in southern Maine with barbells and most gyms will have a rack of some sort, but in terms of going somewhere specifically for instruction the only place I'd recommend is Dyna-Maxx in Westbrook. If your friend decides to get in touch with them, it would be best to visit the gym in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    There is very little black iron in Maine, particularly in southern Maine. Central Maine is more like Waterville through Old Town. There are plenty of places in southern Maine with barbells and most gyms will have a rack of some sort, but in terms of going somewhere specifically for instruction the only place I'd recommend is Dyna-Maxx in Westbrook. If your friend decides to get in touch with them, it would be best to visit the gym in person.
    Thanks, I grew up in Maine. I always thought it funny that "central" Maine was in the southern quarter of the state geographically, or was that "mid-state." At any rate, she's down on the NH coast for now, and will be moving back near Lewiston / Brunswick within a year or two. She's already bought SS3, waiting for it, and I think she will work very hard at it, so I want her to get good coaching before she works hard at reinforcing bad habits. Clint, what's your gym in Brunswick?

There is a coach in Haverhill, MA named Rob Wormald, recently got out of the Marines and is going to college. Haverhill is not too far from the NH coast.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    Thanks, I grew up in Maine. I always thought it funny that "central" Maine was in the southern quarter of the state geographically, or was that "mid-state." At any rate, she's down on the NH coast for now, and will be moving back near Lewiston / Brunswick within a year or two. She's already bought SS3, waiting for it, and I think she will work very hard at it, so I want her to get good coaching before she works hard at reinforcing bad habits. Clint, what's your gym in Brunswick?
    I train at Full Spectrum Fitness. I have seen Dynamax. It is somewhat rough but a real black-iron powerlifting gym, regrettably too far away for me to attend.

starting strength coach development program
    We are down in Cambridge if she wanted to make a trip. We have had quite a few people travel in on Saturdays for critiques. We would go through all the lifts with her for the drop in rate of $10.

http://www.facebook.com/CambridgeStr...ndConditioning

http://cambridgestrength.com/