starting strength gym

Thread: Press: Arms too far back

Default Press: Arms too far back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I noticed that when I press and try to shove my head under the bar and shrug my shoulders, that my arm move too far back behind the plane of my body.

To make matter worse, my right arm feels like it goes more than my left arm and I feel something twisting there.

What is the ideal position of my arms with respect to my body?, and how can I cue myself not to move my right arm way back (or push my head too far forward)?
    Last edited by meshka7; 09-24-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    I noticed that when I press and try to shove my head under the bar and shrug my shoulders, that my arm move too far back behind the plane of my body.

To make matter worse, my right arm feels like it goes more than my left arm and I feel something twisting there.

What is the ideal position of my arms with respect to my body?, and how can I cue myself not to move my right arm way back (or push my head too far forward)?
    Bar over glenohumeral joints over mid-foot. This is in the book. I'd be surprised if you're managing to keep a heavy press behind your mid-foot. Force your arms to extend at the same rate. May not be perfect on 1RM's. But "we can't see you from here." Video?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Just a complete guess, but OP might be leaning forward at the top, so the bar is still over midfoot, but their head and chest is over the toes. I used to see dozens of people doing that at a crossfit gym.
    Yeah, over-diving happens sometimes. That's the first guess I had in the absence of a picture or video.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Just a complete guess, but OP might be leaning forward at the top, so the bar is still over midfoot, but their head and chest is over the toes. I used to see dozens of people doing that at a crossfit gym.
    Yeah, that's why I wanted to see the video. To see if the problem's real or perceived, and then exactly what's causing it. If he's doing this, I'm jealous of his shoulder mobility.

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/5v9598nHXfY

Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    Your problem with these very nice (and very light for you) presses is what again, exactly?

I have almost zero experience with the press so I'm going really slowly and I almost just started. Also my arms are pretty weak and my shoulders have been injured several times before (unrelated to the press) so I'm focusing on getting form correct first. But thanks for letting me know that the form looks good! That gives me some confidence to proceed.

The problem with this is that I feel my arm (the one facing the camera) is almost twisting as I shrug my shoulders. I agree with you it's not apparent from the video. I think in this set I did focus on not having my arm too far back. Also I had to focus really hard on pulling my shoulder back on that side. Which may point to the problem that perhaps my camera facing shoulder (left in video right in reality) has tendency to slide forward.

I know this may not make much sense. I will try to keep this form and pay more attention to what's going on with my shoulder.

They indeed aren't too far back, but you should work on getting your wrists more straight.

starting strength coach development program
    That fan ceiling fan is just looking for trouble!